News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

bat-file for Windows

Started by Jom, July 16, 2019, 04:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jom

So these are separate projects temporarily?

Phil Harvey

I would say it is a branch of the same project.
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Jom

I. e., there is changed only installation especially for Windows, but exiftool is original?

Phil Harvey

...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

obetz

Quote from: andreikorzhyts on July 18, 2019, 12:04:55 PM
I. e., there is changed only installation especially for Windows, but exiftool is original?

The link I provided contains all details, here the short version: It's original "plain ExifTool" plus a stripped "portable Strawberry Perl" plus my own tiny launcher, packed together in a ZIP file or provided as an installer.

Oliver

Jom

QuoteThe link I provided contains all details, here the short version: It's original "plain ExifTool" plus a stripped "portable Strawberry Perl" plus my own tiny launcher, packed together in a ZIP file or provided as an installer.

Oliver
I pressed ctrl+f in my browser and didn't find the word "reason" on your website's home page.
The most important thing is to write first the reasons for the creation of the modification of the original and only then everything else.
You did a good job, but after reading the main page of your site, I have unanswered the main questions:
1. What is the reason of the modification?
2. Do you change the original code or not?
The answers to these questions, I only got on this forum.

If you want to distribute your product, you must be absolutely clear write in the first lines of its pedigree, otherwise nobody does not know what they choose.
I didn't even immediately pay attention to ExifTool because I needed a tool not just for exif data. I was looking for "AllMetadataTool".
The causal component in your product description is important.

obetz

Quote from: Andrei Korzhyts on July 18, 2019, 06:05:30 PM
I pressed ctrl+f in my browser and didn't find the word "reason" on your website's home page.
The most important thing is to write first the reasons for the creation of the modification of the original and only then everything else.

Please make sure to read thoroughly before complaining.

After the introductory description "convenient installer and a robust portable package", the first paragraph of ExifTool for Windows is named "Purpose" being a synonym for "reason". It has a list of three improvements (convenient, permissive, clean).

The last of these three items links to Portable Perl Applications to explain more technical details about pp. This page starts with "Requirements", that's nothing else than "reasons to do something" in engineering. You likely need to read the whole page to understand the issues, but only if you are interested in the technical background.

2. Do you change the original code or not?
The answers to these questions, I only got on this forum.

It seems you didn't read the last paragraph "Sources" on ExifTool for Windows where the steps are described to build the package. This describes also a small patch to ExifTool.

If you want to distribute your product, you must be absolutely clear write in the first lines of its pedigree, otherwise nobody does not know what they choose.
I didn't even immediately pay attention to ExifTool because I needed a tool not just for exif data. I was looking for "AllMetadataTool".
The causal component in your product description is important.

I'm open to all constructive suggestions.

Oliver

Jom

Oliver, you misunderstood me.
I tried to help you by writing the impression as if it were an ordinary user who does not know programming, but tries to find a necessary tool.
When an ordinary user wants to find a tool, he is faced with a lot of different offers from professionals to dilettante.
If you make a potential ordinary user strain to understand the essence of your product and the reasons for its appearance, then most likely he will not understand anything and will go to look for a "program with buttons".
There is no need to force the photographer to follow the links and load with technical terms, he will not understand anything and will not want to spend time on research.
The technical side should be, programmers love to be tormented at find details  :), but the first paragraph on the main page should be in plain language and clearly give the opportunity for an ordinary user to understand your product fits him or not.
But if you have done site for programmers, it means I misunderstood you. Sorry.

Talk about the presentation of the product should be conducted in a separate forum branch. In this thread's initial question was closed.