No more exiftool updates from last August using Geosetter app (and exif tool )

Started by rui jorge, October 05, 2019, 07:00:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rui jorge

I used to get regular updates  (almost every week) for Exiftool on my Windows 7 and using Geosetter app

From last August those updates ceased to appear.

Instead i receive a msg stating that i should check my internet connection, which is not the issue, as i understand.

Before trying to reinstall geosetter, any advices you share ?

Keep up the outstanding work on exiftool.

Rui Jorge

StarGeek

As far as I can tell, nothing has changed on the exiftool side.  http://www.exiftool.org/ver.txt is still the location of the current version number.  The exiftool update part doesn't work here as well.  I doubt that reinstalling it will change that.

Geosetter's support section is also down.  Geosetter has probably been abandoned.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

obetz

Quote from: StarGeek on October 05, 2019, 10:49:44 AM
Geosetter's support section is also down.  Geosetter has probably been abandoned.

The last Geosetter Beta has been published April 2018, and there was no indication of any progress in bugtracker comments.

But you can get all of Geosetter's functionality and much more from IMatch (https://www.photools.com/). The IMatch "map panel" evolved an is now better than Geosetter.

Oliver

StarGeek

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

rui jorge

Hello

Thanks for the insight.....

Any suggestions for free alternatives ?

Rui Jorge

StarGeek

I haven't tried anything else, because Geosetter still works for me.  Nothing wrong with still using it as long as it works.  I've always updated the copy of exiftool it uses by myself.

All you have to do is click on the Start Button and type %appdata%\GeoSetter\tools in the search box.  You can then copy the new version of exiftool to that directory.

I haven't tried any alternative programs, but one I've seen commonly mentioned is Geotag.  It's a Java program so it'll work on any OS.

rui jorge

Hello

Regarding your hint on how to update Exiftool,

Start Button and type %appdata%\GeoSetter\tools in the search box.  You can then copy the new version of exiftool to that directory.

i can't update, maybe because i am on win 7

Can you elaborate a little more ?

Thank you so much

RJ

StarGeek

• Go to the main exiftool page.
  • Download the latest version of exiftool and save it to your desktop
  • Open up the zip file.  If you don't have something like 7zip installed, Windows should automatially treat it as a compressed folder
  • Click the Start Button and type %appdata%\GeoSetter\tools in the search box.  This will open up the directory where GeoSetter keeps its copy of exiftool.  Your Start button will be a bit different, but the idea is still the same.
  • Delete the old copy of exiftool.exe.  Do NOT delete the config file if there is one.
  • Drag the exiftool(-k).exe file from the zip directory to the Geosetter directory
  • Rename the new copy of exiftool to remove the (-k) part.

You can then remove the exiftool zip file you originally downloaded.

rui jorge

StarGeek

rui jorge

Once again, thank you !

It seems geosetter is live again... lets hope so

Thanks