News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Converting Flir .fff files to .tiff format including GPS Metadata

Started by hcoj, October 09, 2019, 07:58:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hcoj

Hello everybody,

I have a lot of Flir .fff files which I want to convert to .tiff including its GPS (or even better all) metadata.

I'm doing this in two steps:
1. Converting all .fff into .tiff
exiftool.exe -rawthermalimage -b *.fff -w .tiff
2. Adding metadata from .fff to .tiff
exiftool.exe -overwrite_original -tagsFromFile 00001.fff 00001.tiff
exiftool.exe -overwrite_original -tagsFromFile 00002.fff 00002.tiff
exiftool.exe -overwrite_original -tagsFromFile 99999.fff 99999.tiff

The second step is quite time consuming - there might be a better way.
Is it possible to include Step 2 directly into Step 1 - saving the tiffs directly with its metadata?

Thanks and best regards.

Phil Harvey

I would recommend using the -ext option in the first command:

exiftool -rawthermalimage -b -ext fff -w .tiff DIR

For number 2, you can do this:

exiftool -overwrite_original -tagsfromfile %d%f.fff -ext tiff DIR

To combine these together:

exiftool -rawthermalimage -b -ext fff -w .tiff -execute -overwrite_original -tagsfromfile %d%f.fff -ext tiff -common_args DIR

This still executes as 2 separate commands, but in a single command line.  There is no way to extract the tiff and add the metadata in one step.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

hcoj

Way faster like this. Thanks a lot.

Is it possible giving an input and output directory so all the .tiff files are written to another folder DIR2 and the .fff files stay in DIR1?

Thanks and best regards

Phil Harvey

You can do it like this:

exiftool -rawthermalimage -b -ext fff -w DIR2/%f.tiff DIR1 -execute -overwrite_original -tagsfromfile DIR1/%f.fff -ext tiff DIR2

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

hcoj