How do I only copy "Keywords" from one set of .XMP to another?

Started by MASPHOTOMI, October 17, 2019, 12:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MASPHOTOMI

I'm a Digital Imaging Technician and work on a lot of commercial projects..
One of my jobs on set is to go through all the photos from the shoot & apply "keywords" to the metadata.

example : Item number, Product name, Catalog Season, Model Name, Location, etc.

I'm doing this in Adobe Bridge, so all the tags are just getting added to the "Keywords" column within the .XMP file making it easy for the companies to find certain images later on in their DAM system.

HERE'S MY PROBLEM
There's another person on set editing the colors of each photo & saving the "Looks" to the same .XMP data, I have to wait for her to finish before I can begin. Is there a way I can copy only the Keywords from my set of XMP data to her XMP data without overwriting all the color & adjustments she made / vice versa? Being able to simultaneously work on the same batch of photos would speed up our workflow tremendously.

Attached is a screen shot of what I  add to the data, blacked out some sensitive info
Hopefully someone on here can help, I look forward to hearing from you guys!

Thanks - MAS 

Phil Harvey

To add the XMP "keywords" (ie. XMP-dc:Subject) from one file to another, you would do this:

exiftool -tagsfromfile ONE_FILE "-subject+<subject" ANOTHER_FILE

This may easily be done as a batch process if you can derive the name of one file from the other, or if they are named the same but in different directories.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

Quote from: MASPHOTOMI on October 17, 2019, 12:45:27 PMIs there a way I can copy only the Keywords from my set of XMP data to her XMP data without overwriting all the color & adjustments she made / vice versa? Being able to simultaneously work on the same batch of photos would speed up our workflow tremendously.

I would say that Phil's command assumes you have two different .XMP sidecar files.  If you are working on the same file located on a network drive for example, then you might have collisions that would overwrite what the other just did.

If you could work on your workflow locally and then wait for the other person to stop for a second before copying the data over, then there shouldn't be a problem, though they would probably have to reload the files so the metadata would be up to date.

This is mostly speculation on my part, as I am not too familiar such setups.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).