Access Violation ... Read of address 00000000 Reproduction Condition

Started by Rock, November 21, 2019, 07:26:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rock

Hia, I just started using this excellent tool and I've been running into an "Access Violation" error when changing certain metadata, modifying a file externally, or deleting/renaming a file (even in the tool). After doing some searching on the forum I noticed that it's been plaguing you for literally years. I thought I'd do some investigating and found something that nobody has mentioned yet.

This error only seems to occur when opening the program by right clicking a file or directory and using "Open With..." or by dragging it over the executable. If I start the tool simply by opening the executable then navigating to a folder using the "Browse" menu, the error does not occur. I should add that even after navigating away from a previously opened folder (whether I collapse the file tree or not), even if it was not the one that was opened originally, the tool will still crash.

Hopefully this helps to narrow down the issue C:

Phil Harvey

Are you talking about the ExifToolGUI application?

Searching the forums for "access violation" returns threads that mention the GUI.

If so, I'll move this to the ExifTool GUI section of the forum.

Note that the GUI is no longer supported.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Rock

Yes sorry I am referring to the GUI, just got confused on the section. I understand its not supported by the original creator any more, I just didn't know if you had access to the code or not. And like I said, I did search the forums and nobody else has posted what they believe is a potential cause of the bug. Just wanted to see if this would be helpful.