News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Desperately need Batch File Media Renaming Solutions using EXIF sidecar files

Started by RokkoRokko2019, December 19, 2019, 07:08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RokkoRokko2019

Hi

I have literally thousands of media files to rename with date time of recording start & stop information from their EXIF sidecar files [as per 'shot date' in the Dynamic Media section of exif data]

I am hoping you could help me with two solutions I need that maybe EXIFTOOL can provide.

My file naming convention is...

01 - Year / Month / Day
02 - Separator - '2 spaces'
03 - 'Recording Start' time   with double digit Hour in 24 hr mode, dash, Minute, space, Second
04 - Separator - 'space, dash, space'
05 - 'Recording Stop' time   with double digit Hour in 24 hr mode, dash, Minute, space, Second
06 - Separator - 'space, dash, space'
07 - Original File name

so a file named

"HD 001"

That started recording on Dec 1, 2008 at 12-45 am and lasted 1 hr, 2 minutes & 10 seconds

would become

"2008-12-01  00-45 15 - 01-47 25 - HD 001"

A / What action / script would I need to run to perform this in Exiftool.

B / Also, as some files have inaccurate times due to wrong camera settings I would appreciate a 'post rename as above' method of fixing them, ie for files that might be 1 day 2hrs, 5 mins 10 seconds out, what would I need to apply to add or subtract this difference from the filename as created above.

A step by step for dummies guide would be appreciated to perform these operations on files [and their exif sidecars]  in selected folders 

Any help would be much appreciated

Zakk

Phil Harvey

Presumably the EXIF files also store the XMP dynamic media Duration.  Then the command will be something like this (assuming the EXIF files are named the same as the videos, and have a ".exif" extension):

exiftool -tagsfromfile %d%f.exif "-testname<${ShotDate} - ${ShotDate#;ShiftTime('0:0:'.$self->GetValue('Duration','ValueConv'));DateFmt('%H-%M %S')} - $filename" -d "%Y-%m-%d  %H-%M %S" DIR

If you are on Mac or Linux, swap all double quotes (") and single quotes (').

Once you are happy with the output of this file, replace testname with filename to actually rename the files.

This command is a bit tricky because it uses the -tagsfromfile advanced formatting feature to shift ShotDate and apply a different formatting for the recording stop time.

See this page for more details about how the file renaming feature works, including a list of the date/time formatting codes.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

RokkoRokko2019

Hi Phil

cheers for quick reply

The sidecar files are named as the media files but the extension is XMP, not exif - I just think of their description as exif, sorry   

I would need the detailed .how to. steps to apply your solution as I have not idea how to apply it to the file or folder with the files I want to process

I mean do I enter it at the command line ?
how to I specify folder and what files to process as a batch within the folder.

Also stuff like duration appears to be contained in the adobe PROJECT metadata, not the XMP

Opening the XMP data I can only identify 'shotdate' and start timecode in 'Timevalue' 

I include the data from a files XMP below in case you can see something I don't.

If the recording stop time can't be derived in any way from the XMP I could live without that if I have to.

The start time is the most important
So I would be happy with a result......

01 - Year-Month-Day
02 - Separator - '2 spaces'
03 - 'Recording Start' time   with double digit Hour in 24 hr mode, dash, Minute, space, Second
04 - Separator - 'space, dash, space'
05 - Original File name

resulting in 

"2008-12-01  00-45 15 - HD 001"

so its simply a matter of reformatting the 'shot date' data line and placing it in front of the original filename

Ultimately, the most important thing to me is that my files appear in start time derived chronological order

Using my real file "HD 151 - 99", with a duration of 23 seconds 13 frames,  as an example

It's XMP file has the following data:

<?xpacket begin="" id="W5M0MpCehiHzreSzNTczkc9d"?>
<x:xmpmeta xmlns:x="adobe:ns:meta/" x:xmptk="Adobe XMP Core 5.0-c060 61.133984, 2009/12/08-18:06:32        ">
<rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#">
  <rdf:Description rdf:about=""
    xmlns:xmpMM="http://ns.adobe.com/xap/1.0/mm/"
    xmlns:stEvt="http://ns.adobe.com/xap/1.0/sType/ResourceEvent#"
    xmlns:xmp="http://ns.adobe.com/xap/1.0/"
    xmlns:xmpDM="http://ns.adobe.com/xmp/1.0/DynamicMedia/"
    xmlns:stDim="http://ns.adobe.com/xap/1.0/sType/Dimensions#"
   xmpMM:InstanceID="xmp.iid:8C699563FCA5DF11B4BCF35233739390"
   xmpMM:DocumentID="xmp.did:8A699563FCA5DF11B4BCF35233739390"
   xmpMM:OriginalDocumentID="xmp.did:8A699563FCA5DF11B4BCF35233739390"
   xmp:MetadataDate="2010-08-12T22:28:56+12:00"
   xmpDM:videoFrameRate="25.000000"
   xmpDM:altTapeName="HD 151"
   xmpDM:shotDate="2008-10-25T01:55:45"
   xmpDM:audioCompressor="Uncompressed"
   xmpDM:videoPixelAspectRatio="4/3"
   xmpDM:videoFieldOrder="Upper"
   xmpDM:videoAlphaMode="none"
   xmpDM:audioSampleRate="48000"
   xmpDM:audioSampleType="Compressed"
   xmpDM:audioChannelType="Stereo"
   xmpDM:startTimeScale="25"
   xmpDM:startTimeSampleSize="1"
   xmpDM:tapeName="HD 151"
   xmpDM:logComment="">
   <xmpMM:History>
    <rdf:Seq>
     <rdf:li
      stEvt:action="saved"
      stEvt:instanceID="xmp.iid:8B699563FCA5DF11B4BCF35233739390"
      stEvt:when="2010-08-12T22:28:46+12:00"
      stEvt:softwareAgent="Adobe Premiere Pro 5.0"
      stEvt:changed="/metadata"/>
     <rdf:li
      stEvt:action="saved"
      stEvt:instanceID="xmp.iid:8C699563FCA5DF11B4BCF35233739390"
      stEvt:when="2010-08-12T22:28:56+12:00"
      stEvt:softwareAgent="Adobe Premiere Pro 5.0"
      stEvt:changed="/metadata"/>
    </rdf:Seq>
   </xmpMM:History>
   <xmpDM:videoFrameSize
    stDim:w="1440"
    stDim:h="1080"
    stDim:unit="pixel"/>
   <xmpDM:startTimecode
    xmpDM:timeValue="00:05:22:11"/>
   <xmpDM:altTimecode
    xmpDM:timeValue="00:05:22:11"/>
  </rdf:Description>
</rdf:RDF>
</x:xmpmeta>

<?xpacket end="w"?>

PH Edit: Removed blank lines and put XMP in code block

Phil Harvey

Hi Zakk,

For details on how to run this, I need to know what system you are using.  eg. Windows, Mac or Linux?

If the video duration is not available in the metadata, then the end time can't be determined and the command gets much simpler:

exiftool -tagsfromfile %d%f.xmp "-testname<$ShotDate - $filename" -d "%Y-%m-%d  %H-%M %S" DIR

You enter this at the command line, but instead of typing "DIR", drag and drop the folder of the files that you want to rename.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

RokkoRokko2019

Wow Phil,

you are the  quickest responder I have ever encountered

I hope your people appreciate your efforts

My system is Win 10 64 bit PC, AMD, brand new build

Using an online metadata reader I found  the video duration is available in the metadata of the video file itself, not the XMP

For the file example I quoted the relevant metadata is....

Duration
24.08 s

so if the original format I asked about with recording stop time can be created that would be awesome

RokkoRokko2019

re procedure

I open command prompt

enter the line of code you gave without the DIR at the end

then drag n drop a file or folder... onto the command line window?

If so - that's simple

Phil Harvey

Yup.  That's the procedure.  Then press RETURN after dropping the file/folder.

For both the start and stop time to be added to the file name in a single command, both of these must be available from a single file (either the video or the xmp file).  Video files typically have a CreateDate you can use.  You can see the available date/time tags with this command:

exiftool -time:all -a -G1 -s FILE

(drag and drop the video file instead of typing "FILE")

If CreateDate and Duration are both extracted for the video, you can use this command:

exiftool "-testname<${CreateDate} - ${CreateDate#;ShiftTime('0:0:'.$self->GetValue('Duration','ValueConv'));DateFmt('%H-%M %S')} - $filename" -d "%Y-%m-%d  %H-%M %S" DIR

- Phil

Phil Harvey

BTW, my first response would have been a lot faster except that we had a fire alarm here and I had to vacate the building to go stand outside in -21 C weather for 20 minutes. :P

RokkoRokko2019

using 'command prompt & entering your code line

I get

'exiftool' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Phil Harvey

Either install exiftool for command-line use by following these instructions, or drag and drop "exiftool(-k).exe" onto the command window instead of typing "exiftool".

- Phil

RokkoRokko2019

the time extraction code you gave only returned the creation and modified from digitiising date not the shot dat from the XMP

I tested the line you gave

dropping the exiftool exe onto command
inserting the code line you gave then drop the file and got this

C:\Users\zrokk>"K:\300 - Applications Avatar\000 - Core 2 - Basic Utilities\UTIL - RENAME - EXIF - Exiftool\exiftool-11.80\exiftool(-k).exe""-testname<${CreateDate} - ${CreateDate#;ShiftTime('0:0:'.$self->GetValue('Duration','ValueConv'));DateFmt('%H-%M %S')} - $filename" -d "%Y-%m-%d  %H-%M %S""K:\300 - Applications Avatar\000 - Core 2 - Basic Utilities\UTIL - RENAME - EXIF - Exiftool\exiftool-11.80\HD 151 - 99.mpeg"
The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

C:\Users\zrokk>

I've got something wrong

RokkoRokko2019

The XMP only has only shot date not duration

the file metadata has the duration but not shot date - only date from date the file digitized

Phil Harvey

You need to put a space before/after dropping a file on the command window.

If you must use ShotDate, then you give up the ability to add the end time in one command.  And it would take some work to add this afterward.  So the command would be:

exiftool -tagsfromfile %d%f.xmp "-testname<$ShotDate - $filename" -d "%Y-%m-%d  %H-%M %S" DIR

- Phil

RokkoRokko2019

Hi

Shotdate is the only option so start date & Time is only result possible -all good

I'm doing something wrong

01 - I hit return to get back to command prompt
02 - add space
03 - drop exiftool9-k0.exe onto command line
04 - add space
05 - paste   exiftool -tagsfromfile %d%f.xmp "-testname<$ShotDate - $filename" -d "%Y-%m-%d  %H-%M %S"
06 - add space
07 - drop media file
08 - add space
09 - Hit return

result is

C:\Users\zrokk> "K:\300 - Applications Avatar\000 - Core 2 - Basic Utilities\UTIL - RENAME - EXIF - Exiftool\exiftool-11.80\exiftool(-k).exe" exiftool -tagsfromfile %d%f.xmp "-testname<$ShotDate - $filename" -d "%Y-%m-%d  %H-%M %S" "K:\300 - Applications Avatar\000 - Core 2 - Basic Utilities\UTIL - RENAME - EXIF - Exiftool\exiftool-11.80\HD 151 - 99.mpeg"
Warning: Error opening file - exiftool.xmp
Error: File not found - exiftool
'K:/300 - Applications Avatar/000 - Core 2 - Basic Utilities/UTIL - RENAME - EXIF - Exiftool/exiftool-11.80/HD 151 - 99.mpeg' --> 'K:/300 - Applications Avatar/000 - Core 2 - Basic Utilities/UTIL - RENAME - EXIF - Exiftool/exiftool-11.80/2008-10-25  01-55 45 - HD 151 - 99.xmp'
    0 image files updated
    1 image files unchanged
    1 files weren't updated due to errors
-- press RETURN --

Phil Harvey

That worked.  Just drop the extra " exiftool " that you pasted to avoid some of the error messages.  This line shows what the file would be renamed to:

'K:/300 - Applications Avatar/000 - Core 2 - Basic Utilities/UTIL - RENAME - EXIF - Exiftool/exiftool-11.80/HD 151 - 99.mpeg' --> 'K:/300 - Applications Avatar/000 - Core 2 - Basic Utilities/UTIL - RENAME - EXIF - Exiftool/exiftool-11.80/2008-10-25  01-55 45 - HD 151 - 99.xmp'

So the new file name would be "2008-10-25  01-55 45 - HD 151 - 99.xmp".

So the only problem is that my command would change the ".mpeg" extension to ".xmp'.  Paste this in instead to fix this:

-tagsfromfile %d%f.xmp "-testname<$ShotDate - %f.%e" -d "%Y-%m-%d  %H-%M %S"

Note that if you run it on a whole directory, you will need to add -ext mpeg to process .mpeg files since they are not normally writable (see FAQ 16).  Also add -ext xmp to rename the XMP sidecar files too.

- Phil

RokkoRokko2019

Hi Phil

This is all new to me & confusing

Can you give me a step by step process to follow with the exact line of code to paste  without me having to change anything

ie

01 - Hit return
02 - etc....

I'm just not familiar with command line use

It might be easier for me to have an exact line of code to paste in that includes both the path to the exif exe and the code to process the file

so all I would have to do is...

01 - paste in the code at the command prompt
02 - then drop in the file or folder of files
03 - and then hit enter [or whatever to launch the process]

That would mean all I have to do is pate the code and drop the file / folder to do this.

The path to the exif app is....

K:\300 - Applications Avatar\000 - Core 2 - Basic Utilities\UTIL - RENAME - EXIF - Exiftool\exiftool-11.80\exiftool(-k).exe   

Phil Harvey

OK.  Paste this:

"K:\300 - Applications Avatar\000 - Core 2 - Basic Utilities\UTIL - RENAME - EXIF - Exiftool\exiftool-11.80\exiftool(-k).exe" -tagsfromfile %d%f.xmp "-testname<$ShotDate - %f.%e" -d "%Y-%m-%d  %H-%M %S" -ext mpeg -ext xmp

Then press SPACE then drag and drop the folder, then press RETURN.

- Phil

Phil Harvey

Even easier:  Download the attached .bat file and drop the folder onto the rokko.bat file icon (no command window needed).

- Phil

RokkoRokko2019

might be getting closer, love the Bat idea

however something still not right

dropped the file on the Bat & got this

K:\300 - Applications Avatar\000 - Core 2 - Basic Utilities\UTIL - RENAME - EXIF - Exiftool\exiftool-11.80>"K:\300 - Applications Avatar\000 - Core 2 - Basic Utilities\UTIL - RENAME - EXIF - Exiftool\exiftool-11.80\exiftool(-k).exe" -tagsfromfile %d%f.xmp "-testname<$ShotDate - %f.%e" -d "%Y-%m-%d  %H-%M %S" -ext mpeg -ext xmp "K:\300 - Applications Avatar\000 - Core 2 - Basic Utilities\UTIL - RENAME - EXIF - Exiftool\exiftool-11.80\HD 151 - 99.mpeg"
'K:/300 - Applications Avatar/000 - Core 2 - Basic Utilities/UTIL - RENAME - EXIF - Exiftool/exiftool-11.80/HD 151 - 99.mpeg' --> 'K:/300 - Applications Avatar/000 - Core 2 - Basic Utilities/UTIL - RENAME - EXIF - Exiftool/exiftool-11.80/2008-10-25-ß 01-55 45 - HD 151 - 99.mpeg'
Warning: FileName encoding not specified - K:/300 - Applications Avatar/000 - Core 2 - Basic Utilities/UTIL - RENAME - EXIF - Exiftool/exiftool-11.80/HD 151 - 99.mpeg
    0 image files updated
    1 image files unchanged
-- press RETURN --

Phil Harvey

The only problem is that one of the spaces in my .bat file was a non-breaking space instead of an ASCII space, which is why you got the warning and the funny character in the file name.  I have fixed the attached file in my previous post.  Re-download the new version.

But other than that, it worked perfectly.  Nothing was changed because the .bat file is writing the "testname" tag instead of "filename".  Change this in the .bat file to actually rename the file.

- Phil

RokkoRokko2019

redownloaded the updated bat file from previous post

dropped a folder with test file and it's xmp onto it

got this in command window

K:\300 - Applications Avatar\000 - Core 2 - Basic Utilities\UTIL - RENAME - EXIF - Exiftool>"K:\300 - Applications Avatar\000 - Core 2 - Basic Utilities\UTIL - RENAME - EXIF - Exiftool\exiftool-11.80\exiftool(-k).exe" -tagsfromfile %d%f.xmp "-testname<$ShotDate - %f.%e" -d "%Y-%m-%d  %H-%M %S" -ext mpeg -ext xmp "K:\300 - Applications Avatar\000 - Core 2 - Basic Utilities\UTIL - RENAME - EXIF - Exiftool\Test files"
'K:/300 - Applications Avatar/000 - Core 2 - Basic Utilities/UTIL - RENAME - EXIF - Exiftool/Test files/HD 151 - 99.mpeg' --> 'K:/300 - Applications Avatar/000 - Core 2 - Basic Utilities/UTIL - RENAME - EXIF - Exiftool/Test files/2008-10-25  01-55 45 - HD 151 - 99.mpeg'
'K:/300 - Applications Avatar/000 - Core 2 - Basic Utilities/UTIL - RENAME - EXIF - Exiftool/Test files/HD 151 - 99.xmp' --> 'K:/300 - Applications Avatar/000 - Core 2 - Basic Utilities/UTIL - RENAME - EXIF - Exiftool/Test files/2008-10-25  01-55 45 - HD 151 - 99.xmp'
    1 directories scanned
    0 image files updated
    2 image files unchanged
-- press RETURN --

The filenames were unchanged

The files are
HD 151 - 99.mpeg
HD 151 - 99.xmp

We're getting closer, I am sure and I seriously appreciate your time with this

Phil Harvey

Quote from: Phil Harvey on December 19, 2019, 01:03:46 PM
Nothing was changed because the .bat file is writing the "testname" tag instead of "filename".  Change this in the .bat file to actually rename the file.

RokkoRokko2019

Looking at the response from the command line

It appears to be working perfectly as the new filename is perfect in the readout

its simply not renaming the actual files themselves

RokkoRokko2019

Phil Harvey

The .bat file is a plain text file.  You can edit it with any plain text editor.  But I have done it for you.  See the attached file.

- Phil

RokkoRokko2019

Cheers Phil

It works perfectly now - the two bats are great as I can test then run the real rename

I had tried to open the bat in my notepad but the 'open with' option wasn't there in my Q-Dir browser

Anycase..

thank you so much for your personal time in perfecting this for me

Thanks to you I now have the means to update all these thousands of media files and access them in  chronological order.

Very very much appreciated
and thank you so much for taking the time to help a stranger.

Its rare to encounter and such a breath of fresh air.

I hope you have an awesome Xmas and a fantastic new year

thanks again

Zakk