QuickTime:DateTimeOriginal written automatically, without timezone conversion

Started by torarnv, January 11, 2020, 08:16:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Harvey

BTW, there was a report here that using QuickTime:DateTimeOriginal may confuse Apple Photos, although I couldn't reproduce this myself.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

torarnv

Quote from: StarGeek on January 12, 2020, 10:38:23 AM
The only reason I knew that it existed is because some program I've used recently set that tag.  I still can't figure out which one, though, and it's bugging the heck out of me.

That could have been exiftool itself? That's what happened to me at least, as I was setting AllDates which will write both XMP:DateTimeOriginal and QuickTime:DateTimeOriginal.

torarnv

Quote from: Phil Harvey on January 12, 2020, 03:05:34 PM
QuoteDoes the same apply when doing -QuickTime:DateTimeOriginal<SomeDateTagThatDoesntEncodeUTCOffsetOrIsExplcitlyInUTC?

At this level, the value of the source tag is a string.  It doesn't matter where it comes from.

Ah, I see. Does it go via the -d format in that case? So with the default format that doesn't include a time zone offset it would lose the (possible) UTC offset in the original tag?

QuotePerhaps it would be useful with an option to always write string dates with an UTC offset?
This is a good idea.

Hurray :)

Another thing that crossed my mind was that the geolocation info could potentially be used to decide which timezone input dates without timezone should be interpreted as, instead of always assuming the local timezone (as I understand it does now?).

Cheers,
Tor Arne

Phil Harvey

Hi Tor,

Quote from: torarnv on January 12, 2020, 07:23:15 PM
Ah, I see. Does it go via the -d format in that case?

Yes.

QuoteSo with the default format that doesn't include a time zone offset it would lose the (possible) UTC offset in the original tag?

Again, I think you are confused.  If the date/time tag has a time zone then the "default format" will include that time zone.

QuotePerhaps it would be useful with an option to always write string dates with an UTC offset?
This is a good idea.

Hurray :)

I think we miscommunicated again here.  I meant that it is a good idea to always write the time zone.  But ExifTool is not going to do that for you.  That's something you need to do yourself.

QuoteAnother thing that crossed my mind was that the geolocation info could potentially be used to decide which timezone input dates without timezone should be interpreted as, instead of always assuming the local timezone (as I understand it does now?).

There is a config file include in the full distribution that attempts to determine the time zone of an image like this.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

Quote from: torarnv on January 12, 2020, 07:15:16 PM
That could have been exiftool itself? That's what happened to me at least, as I was setting AllDates which will write both XMP:DateTimeOriginal and QuickTime:DateTimeOriginal.

No, I don't use AllDates with video files.  I rarely use it at all, since I have my own shortcuts which are more targeted and explicit as to which tags they set.

It was a program more video specific.  I thought it might have been Youtube-DL, but that sets ContentCreateDate, which shows just the date without formatting, like 20190516.  Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to set any other time stamps while using the --add-metadata switch.

* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).