News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Synology Photo Station General Tags

Started by nates1200gs, January 06, 2020, 05:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nates1200gs

Hi,

I'm working on using the command line ExifTool to apply Keywords (and to append multiple) to an image.  I figured it would be fairly simple as the I thought that the General Tags in Synology were the same as Keywords.  However...it doesn't seem like it works the same way.  I can append keywords using ExifTool...and I expected that after I uploaded the image to Photo Station there would be several "General Tags" that were applied to the image.  However it seems like it only grabs the last tag rather than all...so if I applied tag1, tag2, tag3, tag4 using the command line...and uploaded to photo station its only showing tag4.  Any thoughts or experience with Synology Photo Station?  This isn't really isn't an issue with ExifTool...just trying to find out if I'm doing something foolish as I'm naïve...

Many Thanks,
Nate

StarGeek

I can't help with regards to anything Synology or Photo Station specific, but I'd suggest finding an image that already shows the data correctly and using the command in FAQ #3 to try and figure out where it's being stored.  Try to replicate that in another image.  If that doesn't work, copy paste the full command line and output here so we can see where there might be a problem.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

nates1200gs

Thank you very much for the response.  I will take some more time to research FAQ 3...at the end of the day I'm guessing that there's something "unique" for how the Synology's Photo Station applies keywords in the application...but not the way I would expect Photo Station to apply tags to an image.  Maybe there is a database that Photo Station uses rather than using the tags on the image...

nates1200gs

Ugh...your application is awesome...but Synology has strange ideas about..."metadata"...see the attachment...

Phil Harvey

But is there any way to export the Synology metadata database so it can be read by something else?
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

nates1200gs

greybeard

try:

exiftool -xmp:subject="First tag,Second tag" filename.jpg

nates1200gs

Greybeard!  I was just coming to respond to this topic...as I grabbed Lightroom and found that "Subject" is the right field that Photo Station/Synology uses!  This is huge...the ticket I had with support at Synology was also wrong...telling me that there is no field for "keywords". 

Now I can grab the "subject" fields from my MSSQL view and apply the images automatically from exiftool...either using a tab file and soon from json from my api.  Many, many, many, many thanks...

Although you responded with the right answer...it was probably a good way for me to learn a bit about metadata and the ability with exiftool.  This week I was feeling sunk...as none of this made sense (based on the Synology).  I'm sure there are many possibilities for other DAM applications...and Photo Station is probably pretty vanilla...but it will definitely make a big difference for the 4 or 5 departments at my company that haven't had this option for search/visibility etc.   :) :) :)

greybeard

I'm pleased you found it yourself - we both got a chance to learn something new about Synology Photo Station