Problem retrieving RECONYX MakerNotes

Started by justkristin, January 08, 2020, 06:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justkristin

Sorry for bothering you all with what will no doubt (and hopefully) be a remedial issue. I am trying to work with image::exiftool on a mac:
perl 5.18.4
os 10.15.2

I am trying to get a script working that I used previously to create a manifest for images being uploaded to a citizen science site (zooniverse.org). I have successfully (if sloppily) created a section that gets the tags, and uses the Reconyx-specific EventNumber and Sequence tags to arrange the images in the manifest.csv into order in their correct groups of three.

When I feed an image to exiftool at command line, these tags and their values show up.
When I use an exact path and file name in a perl script, the tags and values also show up.
However, when I try to loop through files, using a variable for the file, I get the following:
Warning => [minor] Unrecognized MakerNotes

I have asked the script to print the image file ($damnimagefile) before passing it along to
my $exif_info = $exifTool->ImageInfo($damnimagefile);
and then when I copy that path/file and use exifinfo on the command line, the tags are there and populated...

It seems that it is only the MakerNotes - which I assume are the maker-specific tags - that get lost in the script...
Can anyone point out my idiocy? I am sorry about the quality and uncommented nature of the scripts attached. dang.pl is the full script (the exifinfo stuff starts around line 95) that worked once upon a time, and caca.pl is the test script I pulled from dang.pl to narrow things down. I have included a photo of a burrowing owl, which is the species we are currently trying to help. :)

greybeard

Are you sure the image file in your attached zip is the one giving you the problem?

justkristin

I have about a million images, and no matter which I have chosen so far, they show the makernotes when I do a simple command-line
exiftool path/to/image.jpg
but not if I use the longer script with the path/image.jpg as a variable...
I have the script print the path/image.jpg it has built so that I can check it, but no matter which I select from the output, I get this same issue.

I have attached three results examples... Sorry again, and thank you for your eyes and your brain!

Phil Harvey

I would guess that your script uses a different Image::ExifTool library than the one that the exiftool script is using.  What do these commands give?:

exiftool -ver

and

perl -e 'use Image::ExifTool;print "$Image::ExifTool::VERSION\n"'

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

justkristin

Sir, they are, respectively, 11.82 and 11.11

I will update Image::ExifTool to 11.70 (which seems to be the latest?) and try again. Thank you, sir!

justkristin

Phil, sir, that seems to have been the problem. Thank you so much for dealing with my remedial-ness. :) The owl researchers thank you, too!

StarGeek

Quote from: justkristin on January 09, 2020, 12:36:04 PM
I will update Image::ExifTool to 11.70 (which seems to be the latest?)

The latest is 11.83, which can be found on the main exiftool page.  Version 11.70 is the most recent production release.  Other versions are considered development releases, and are not uploaded to CPAN.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

justkristin

Thanks to all of you: GreyBeard, Phil and StarGeek! Thank you tons!