Main Menu

Display all .dv dates

Started by wywh, April 03, 2021, 04:21:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wywh

I have exported and archived .dv files that contain multiple clips recorded at different times. I can view all clips' dates & times in real time if I export the .dv file to D8 or miniDV camcorder's tape and view it there with that display feature enabled.

On the other hand, exiftool, MediaInfo (displayed as Recorded date), Invisor, iMovie v1-6, Final Cut Pro display only the DateTimeOriginal of the very first frame of the .dv file (if the very first frame happens to be a title added with iMovie then there is no DateTimeOriginal and FCP gets the date from MacOS:FileCreateDate which is wrong):

exiftool -a -G1 -s -ee3 -time:all -ext dv movie.dv
[System]        FileModifyDate                  : 2011:02:26 15:19:16+02:00
[System]        FileAccessDate                  : 2021:04:03 10:51:52+03:00
[System]        FileInodeChangeDate             : 2021:04:03 10:51:42+03:00
[DV]            DateTimeOriginal                : 2001:06:22 12:50:21

If I trim the .dv file with a tool like MPEG Streamclip or QuickTime Player 7 Pro, then the very first frame's date & time is displayed if it happens to contain DateTimeOriginal.

Question: Would it be possible to display the DateTimeOriginal of all clips, preferably each clip's start but also the date & time at certain intervals would be nice. I am not aware of any app that can do this. This would greatly help putting old .dv files in chronological order.

- Matti

Phil Harvey

Hi Matti,

I'll look into this, but it may take some time.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).