News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Apple .jpg file "looks more like a MOV"

Started by calberga, January 15, 2020, 03:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

calberga

I have some pictures taken with an iPhone with "live" accidentally set.  They have type of .jpg, and are displayed properly by IrfanView, and by the exiftool GUI.  But when I try to set the "comment" tag I get the message:

Error: Not a valid JPG (looks more like a MOV)

Is there a way to "fix" these files, to turn them into full fledged .jpg files?  I am attaching an example.

Alan Clifford

exiftool reports

[File]          MIME Type                       : image/heic

Alan Clifford

On my mac, I exported the file as a .jpg with Preview.

StarGeek

Try updating to a newer version of exiftool.  This images isn't a jpg.  It's a HEIC.

Exiftool can only affect the metadata.  It can't convert a HEIC to a jpg.  You'll have to look elsewhere for something to convert it.

I do find it interesting that Irfanview will display it for you.  When I tried, irfanview rejected it outright.  I updated from 4.51 to 4.54, it wouldn't reject it, but it just displayed a completely black image for me.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

calberga

Odd.  I'm using 4.53 - 64 bit.  When Apple threw honestly labeled .HEIC files Irfanview did the type conversion with no problems.  Maybe I better not update!

I don't have a Mac, and I copied the files with Funbox.  I'll try changing the type to .HEIC and feeding them to IrfanView.  Thanks for the information.

StarGeek

Quote from: calberga on January 16, 2020, 11:22:15 AM
Odd.  I'm using 4.53 - 64 bit.  When Apple threw honestly labeled .HEIC files Irfanview did the type conversion with no problems.  Maybe I better not update!

It may be that your system added a HEIC codec at some point.  Looking around, it seems it's available from the Windows Store, but since I'm a tad paranoid about MS, I removed the Windows store (and some other bits) from my computer. 
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).