Microsoft "Software restriction policies"

Started by Malus, December 06, 2017, 06:55:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Harvey

Is ExifTool 11.27 good for you?  Just set PAR_GLOBAL_TEMP to SOME_DIR/par, then the .txt file will be written to SOME_DIR.

- Phil

Edit: Thinking about this more, it isn't a good solution because the .txt file is recreated each time is is requested, which could result in conflicts between different users running at the same time.  I think it was better the way it had been previously.  PAR_GLOBAL_TEMP was used for the executable part, and TEMP was used for the documentation.  Or, if as you suggested I created the documentation file once and never delete it, then I would need to add a version number to the file name so it wouldn't get stale when you updated ExifTool.  In this case it could go in PAR_GLOBAL_TEMP without a conflict.  I think I'll try this strategy in 11.28.
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

bmn

Hi,

thank you for your work and for the info. I'll wait with testing until the next version :)

Phil Harvey

The next version (11.28) was available yesterday.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

bmn

Hi Phil,

that seems to work really great. I'll test a bit more next week and afterwards start deploying if no problems occur.

Thank you for making the changes.

obetz

Quote from: Phil Harvey on February 13, 2019, 11:09:50 AM
Current ExifTool writes the temporary file to one level higher than PAR_TEMP by default.  You should be able to set PAR_TEMP to change this.  If PAR_TEMP is not defined, then the file is created in TMP or TEMP, whichever environment variable is defined.  I could maybe change this to use PAR_GLOBAL_TEMP if it is defined.  The way it would be is that the .txt file would go to C:\Temp if PAR_GLOBAL_TEMP was set to C:\Temp\par.  Would this be OK?

this sound dangerous since "bmn" sets PAR_GLOBAL_TEMP to a directory not writable by restricted users.

TEMP and TMP is the right place IMO.

Oliver

Phil Harvey

Hi Oliver,

Quote from: obetz on April 03, 2019, 07:27:41 AM
this sound dangerous since "bmn" sets PAR_GLOBAL_TEMP to a directory not writable by restricted users.

This is OK with the new version as long as the administrator runs ExifTool once without arguments to generate the help file (since it is no longer being deleted afterwards).

- Phil

obetz

thanks for the clarification, I didn't see that the file is created only once to hold the help.

Malus

I just want to say thank you to Oliver for solving this issue with his exiftool package ...
and to Phil of course  :D

obetz

Quote from: Malus on June 03, 2020, 05:21:56 AM
I just want to say thank you to Oliver for solving this issue with his exiftool package ...

Thanks for the feedback! Glad to read that my package / installer is helpful.