News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

MacOS Catalina Install Problem

Started by SonomaBear, January 28, 2020, 07:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonomaBear

The system security on Catalina demands that the developer be identified.
"ExifTool-11.85.pkg" cannot be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.

Is there any workaround?

Thank you in advance...

Phil Harvey

I think there should be some security setting that you can change to allow this.

If you can't figure it out, you can always download the full Unix distribution (the .tar.gz file).  All you need to do is unpack it and run it from there (or move "exiftool" and the "lib" directory to wherever you want.  See the instructions here for installing the full Perl distribution on MacOS.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Hubert

Right-click (or ctrl-click) on the ExifTool-11.85.pkg file and choose Open. You'll then get a dialog (attached) asking if you're sure if you want to open it. Again choose Open and this will launch the installer.

Hope this helps!

Phil Harvey

Thanks Hubert.  Note that this was mentioned in Notes of the MacOS Install instructions.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

maxwyss

Please don't take it personal...

It might be worthwhile to sign the installer package with an Apple Developer Installer certificate.

Otherwise, thanks a lot for your work.

Phil Harvey

Thanks for the suggestion.  It just seems like a lot of work...  I would have to get an iCloud account and enrole in the Apple Developer program.  I refuse to pay Apple a subscription fee for making my free software available, and it looks like the Apple Developer program costs $99/yr.

Am I the only one that thinks It is insane to have to pay to make free software available?

- Phil

Alan Clifford

Quote from: Phil Harvey on April 07, 2020, 08:32:53 AM
Thanks for the suggestion.  It just seems like a lot of work...  I would have to get an iCloud account and enrole in the Apple Developer program.  I refuse to pay Apple a subscription fee for making my free software available, and it looks like the Apple Developer program costs $99/yr.

Am I the only one that thinks It is insane to have to pay to make free software available?

- Phil

Don't do it.

obetz

Quote from: Phil Harvey on April 07, 2020, 08:32:53 AM

add me.

Oliver

cmerger

Hi, just installed Exif tool on my iMac. Installation did complete correctly, but the application does not show up in The Application Folder.
Any idea of where the program is?
Thanks

Phil Harvey

This is a command-line application.  Launch /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app then type "exiftool" and press RETURN in the Terminal window to run exiftool and read the application documentation.

- Phil

cmerger

My apologies. I did not realize it was a commande line program.