copy one tag to another

Started by slchapin41, February 06, 2020, 11:04:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slchapin41

It should be simple. I want to copy the value of Title into Description for all jpgs in a directory. I've tried various permutations of:

ExifTool -Description=-Title *.jpg

but all I manage is to set the Description field to the literal text "-Title" or "Title" or "<-title" or whatever I've tried. With or without quotes around everything or around parts of things.

Please, what is the very simple command I should use to do this? I'm on MacOS 10.14.15. I don't remember where ExifTool is to be found on my Mac (it isn't in Applications) so I can't find the version I'm using, but I find ExifTool 10.14.dmg so that's probably it.

- dumb-feeling newbie susan

Phil Harvey

Hi Susan,

Try this:

exiftool "-description<title" -ext jpg DIR

(instead of typing the DIR name, you can drag and drop the folder onto the Terminal window)

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

See Common Mistake #5 a & c

To copy one tag to another, you use a Greater/Less than symbol, pointing to the target tag you want.  You don't include the dash on the second half of the command.
exiftool '-Description<Title' -ext jpg .

While you can use *.jpg, that will not work when you want to recurse into subdirectories (the -r (recurse) option), which is why I changed the command as I did.  The dot represents the current directory.

In order to see what version of exiftool you are using, type
exiftool -ver
You might want to upgrade, as version 10.14 is very old and won't have some very useful features, such as editing mp4/mov files.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

slchapin41

THANK YOU for such very QUICK replies. Works now.

- susan

freem

Hello.

I have same task, but I need to change places Title and Description. Is it possible to do this?

Phil Harvey

exiftool "-description<title" "-title<description" FILE

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).