News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

UTC/GMT Time correction in a voice note file from whatsapp

Started by tijuinem, February 09, 2020, 07:16:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tijuinem

Hey guys.
I'm doing an important analysis on a file type .opus of the application for android whatsapp. It's a voice note as you can see from the extension. ( OGG FILE )

The question and my problem is that the metadata of the file says that it was recorded on a date with a correction of +2 hours. Actually it should only be an hour.
What could this be due to ?
There was no travel on that phone, no time change, etc.

Thank you in advance...

QuoteFile Modification Date/Time     : 2019:10:15 14:16:18+02:00
File Access Date/Time           : 2020:02:07 11:17:47+01:00
File Inode Change Date/Time     : 2020:01:28 12:44:41+01:00

StarGeek

Those tags are not embedded information, they are entirely controlled by the operating system you are viewing the data on.  If you view them on a computer in a different time zone, they will change to reflect that time zone.  For example, viewing that on my computer, West Coast US, it would appear as 2019:10:15 05:16:18-07:00.  The computer you're are using (Mac?) believes that October 15, 2019 was daylight savings time.

While I don't know your country, a quick Google search indicates that Daylight Savings time for Central European Time (+01:00/+02:00) ended on October 27.  So that time zone appears correct to me.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

tijuinem

thks for reply.
ok

I understand
So, if I had consulted that data a few months ago, it would have been +1? and likewise if I consult it when the time change is made again, it would be +1 again?

Phil Harvey

No.  If the file date is in the DST range then it will be +1 for daylight savings time.  It doesn't matter what the current date is.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

Modern computers are aware of variations in time zones and will always display the proper time zone for that date.  So for CET, any date between March 31, 2019 and October 27, 2019 will show up as Central European Summer Time/CEST +02:00.  Outside of that range will be regular CET +01:00.

Semi-related, my favorite Computerphile video on time zones.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

tijuinem

ok
then I don't give it much thought, I interpolate the results as the system says and it's solved.

Modified on October 15, 2019 at 12:16:18 PM.

tijuinem

I'm confused again.
I think the correctl time was " 14:16:18" without regard to the time slot.
this data is merely indicative of reference.
I interpret. Is that correct?

StarGeek

Sorry for not reading your replies carefully.

Quote from: tijuinem on February 11, 2020, 04:41:44 AMok
then I don't give it much thought, I interpolate the results as the system says and it's solved.

Modified on October 15, 2019 at 12:16:18 PM.

No, you don't add/subtract time zones unless you are trying to get UTC time or figure out the time at a different time zone.  The time of 14:16:18 would be local time for Central European Summer Time/CEST.  The +02:00 indicates that the current time at that location is +2 hours ahead of UTC. 

tijuinem