Change of correlative dates in batch files

Started by casevi, January 15, 2020, 12:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

casevi

Good afternoon everyone ...

First of all introduce myself ..

I am a fan of photography (from Tarragona - Catalunya) that, to try to solve a problem that I have with my JPEG files, I have decided to find a solution with this application: ExifToolGUI ..
Also say that I do not speak English so all that I expose here will be a Google translation.
I have a problem with the ordering of the photographs that, once processed with Windows, I transfer to my Ipad ....

I transfer lots of photographs of 100, 200 or 300 units. They are photos of my trips ..
Although, in Windows, I modify (delete) all the Exif data of them and although I order them numerically in the order that interests me, when transferring them to my Ipad (by means of the Aiseesoft FoneTrans application), they ALL DISORDER WHEN PASSING THEM TO THE PHOTO ALBUM OF THE IPAD.

MY PURPOSE IS TO PUT THEM A CORRELATIVE DATE TO EACH IMAGE FILE to see if they are sorted in this way on my Ipad.
Does anyone know how to do it with this application?
Thank you.

StarGeek

Unfortunately, I have no access to an iPad nor it's photo gallery, so I can't research for you what is happening.  You'll have to figure out what exactly the photo gallery is using to sort the images.

Also take note that the GUI no longer has support.  I can advise you on what command to use in the terminal if you can figure out how the photo gallery is sorting.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

casevi

Quote from: StarGeek on January 15, 2020, 02:31:03 PM
Unfortunately, I have no access to an iPad nor it's photo gallery, so I can't research for you what is happening.  You'll have to figure out what exactly the photo gallery is using to sort the images.

Also take note that the GUI no longer has support.  I can advise you on what command to use in the terminal if you can figure out how the photo gallery is sorting.

Thank you for taking your time ....
Unfortunately I don't know why the photos get messy ...
What I do is:
1.- Delete all the EXIF information from the photographs.
2.- Through an external application, I modify all the "date" attributes of the files and put them all with the same feecha and time.
3.- I renumber the "name" of the files numerically (01.02.03.04 ...) to try to make this numbering prevail.

This protocol does not work ....
Now, I would like to be able to do this same sequence with dates and times to try to sort them by date and time correlative (00:01, 00:02, 00:03 ...) ...
This is my intention ....
I don't know how EXiffTool works in command line but ... can I learn?
Thank you.

StarGeek

I'd suggest picking two images that sort next to each other.  Then run this command, replacing file1 and file2 with the full path to the files.
exiftool -g1 -a -s File1 file2

Compare the output of each file.  Especially pay attention to any date/time entries, most likely FileModifyDate.  If you can find a sequence, expand to the other files. 

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Alan Clifford

Apparently, you can re-order photographs on the ipad by touching and dragging (see https://www.wikihow.com/Rearrange-Photos-in-an-iPad-Photo-Album).   

First copy two or three photos to your Windows computer.

Move the photos around on the ipad.  Take another copy of the same photos to your Windows computer. Have a look with exiftool at the before and after photos to see if the ipad has put anything in the metadata when they were re-arranged.

casevi

Quote from: Alan Clifford on January 16, 2020, 12:01:25 PM
Apparently, you can re-order photographs on the ipad by touching and dragging (see https://www.wikihow.com/Rearrange-Photos-in-an-iPad-Photo-Album).   

Move the photos around on the ipad.  Take another copy of the same photos to your Windows computer. Have a look with exiftool at the before and after photos to see if the ipad has put anything in the metadata when they were re-arranged.

It can effectively be done that way. I know..
The problem comes when you have to do this operation, photo by photo, in an album of 200 photos.
It is impossible !!!!

I have managed to find out that:
1.- when the creation dates of the files (date when you take the picture) are all the same (for example, through an external application you have modified all the attributes of the file) the Ipad, sort the files randomly without respecting the order of the Name

2.- When the files have a creation date, Ipad orders the files by this creation date.

thanks for your time ..
It is not a problem when it comes to one or two files but when there are 200 files to order ... !!!!!

StarGeek

Assuming you mean FileCreateDate and you don't care if it's the actual time the file was created, you can follow the instructions in this post.  Just substitute FileCreateDate for DateTimeOriginal.  Make sure and test it out first.

Alan Clifford

Quote from: casevi on January 17, 2020, 04:27:32 AM
Quote from: Alan Clifford on January 16, 2020, 12:01:25 PM

It can effectively be done that way. I know..
The problem comes when you have to do this operation, photo by photo, in an album of 200 photos.
It is impossible !!!!

It is not a problem when it comes to one or two files but when there are 200 files to order ... !!!!!

You appear not to have read my post.

StarGeek

I have doubts that reordering images in the gallery would actually re-write any metadata.  It seems more likely to me that the order would be stored in a database.

Alan Clifford

Quote from: StarGeek on January 17, 2020, 12:48:29 PM
I have doubts that reordering images in the gallery would actually re-write any metadata.  It seems more likely to me that the order would be stored in a database.

Or the order the files are put into storage.

But it was a suggestion to try.

casevi

Quote from: Alan Clifford on January 17, 2020, 12:57:21 PM

The reordering that the Ipad has is FULLY RANDOM ...
I have done the test several times and the ordering has always been different ...
On the other hand, if I export to the Ipad the photo files with the consecutive creation dates (00:00, 00:01, 00:02, 00:03 ......) the Ipad keeps the order of the dates.
This is the reason why I look for how to modify and order all the creation dates of the files in a batch.

I think this random sorting occurs from IpadIos 13.
With IpadIos 12, I had no problem. Deleting all metadata, the Ipad did not mess up the photos.

casevi

Quote from: casevi on January 17, 2020, 06:05:24 PM
Quote from: Alan Clifford on January 17, 2020, 12:57:21 PM

The reordering that the Ipad has is FULLY RANDOM ...
I have done the test several times and the ordering has always been different ...
On the other hand, if I export to the Ipad the photo files with the consecutive creation dates (00:00, 00:01, 00:02, 00:03 ......) the Ipad keeps the order of the dates.
This is the reason why I look for how to modify and order all the creation dates of the files in a batch.

I think this random sorting occurs from IpadIos 13.
With IpadIos 12, I had no problem. Deleting all metadata, the Ipad did not mess up the photos.

If I could modify the fileCreateData of a batch of files and make it correlative ..... it would be the solution to my problem !!!!
I have tried it with a batch of 60 files and it works perfectly.
Do it with 200 photographs (or more) manually .... it is almost impossible.