Samsung Galaxy S10 GPS info not in exif?

Started by daduke, February 17, 2020, 01:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daduke

Hi all,

I've been using exiftool for many years for all sorts of exif magic on my pictures. Recently I noticed that pictures take with my Samsung Galaxy S10 do have location information (the Samsung gallery app knows the exact location), but in the exif entries there's no GPS:

GPS Latitude Ref                : Unknown ()
GPS Longitude Ref               : Unknown ()
GPS Latitude                    :
GPS Longitude                   :

I've been doing a lot of searching and reading and found some people mentioning the same issue, without a helpful answer. Has anyone seen this and maybe even found a solution?

Example picture here: https://daduke.org/junk/gpstest.jpg

thanks for any hints,
-Christian

StarGeek

I'm wondering if the data is embedded in the image or if it's kept in a database on the phone.

Try moving the image off the phone to another computer, rename it, and then copy it back to see if the gallery can pick up the coordinates again.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

daduke

good call! It seems the location info doesn't survive a copy job. Well done Samsung. Can't find any way of getting the pictures out while keeping GPS info.

ah well. thanks for a different perspective I guess :)

-d

daduke

it's the Samsung gallery that strips GPS exif data. If I export the image in another app, GPS survives. Seems Sammy screwed up.

StarGeek

Would you try the same thing but with a video instead?  While searching on this I came across this StackOverflow question.  If it's the same problem, then that question can be answered.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).