News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

32 o 64 bits applications. Setting environment variables

Started by Manuel G., March 24, 2020, 03:25:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manuel G.

Hello

With this post, I intend that Phil Harvey, evaluate the inclusion or not of these details in the instructions manual. https://exiftool.org/install.html.

Regardless of the operating system, I miss that Exiftool and ExiftoolGUI are not mentioned, if they are or are not 32 or 64 bit applications. Since are they or not. Which Operating system have it.

It would also be good to mention, how to set environment variables "PATH" or how to check it,  when exiftool and ExiftoolGui, you want to install in a directory other than the root or desktop, for example in the "program file" folder. In my case, in the "programs file (x86)" folder.

Post data .: I´m sorry for my low English level.

Phil Harvey

The Windows EXE version is currently 32 bit.

The Mac/Linux versions run using whatever version of Perl that is installed.

On Mac/Linux you type "printenv PATH" to show the path.  I don't know what the equivalent command is in Windows, but a quick Google should give you the anser.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

obetz

Quote from: Manuel G. on March 24, 2020, 03:25:42 AM
It would also be good to mention, how to set environment variables "PATH" or how to check it,  when exiftool and ExiftoolGui, you want to install in a directory other than the root or desktop, for example in the "program file" folder. In my case, in the "programs file (x86)" folder.

You need to know:

• The Windows path variable is assembled from a system wide and a user part. On my system both settings are easily reached by hitting the Windows key once and then typing "Umgebung", but I couldn't reproduce this in the English sandbox typing "Environment" so YMMV.
  • The exiftool.exe from exiftool.org unpacks itself to the temp directory, so even if you place it in the protected "C:\Program Files (x86)" folder, the real executables are not protected anymore.

I prepared an Installer setting the path variable for you and avoiding unpacking to %temp%: https://oliverbetz.de/pages/Artikel/ExifTool-for-Windows

I miss that Exiftool and ExiftoolGUI are not mentioned, if they are or are not 32 or 64 bit applications

I think it doesn't matter whether ExifTool is run in a 32 Bit or 64 Bit Perl. I found that 64 Bit Strawberry Perl runs slightly slower than 32 Bit. Therefore I provide only a 32 bit version.

ExifToolGUI is 32 bit, but this also doesn't matter. To my knowledge, it makes no difference whether you use "C:\Program Files (x86)" or "C:\Program Files". You can put 32 bit and 64 bit applications in any folder.

Oliver

Manuel G.

Quote from: obetz on March 24, 2020, 10:15:24 AM

You need to know:

• The Windows path variable is assembled from a system wide and a user part. On my system both settings are easily reached by hitting the Windows key once and then typing "Umgebung", but I couldn't reproduce this in the English sandbox typing "Environment" so YMMV.
  • The exiftool.exe from exiftool.org unpacks itself to the temp directory, so even if you place it in the protected "C:\Program Files (x86)" folder, the real executables are not protected anymore.

I prepared an Installer setting the path variable for you and avoiding unpacking to %temp%: https://oliverbetz.de/pages/Artikel/ExifTool-for-Windows

I miss that Exiftool and ExiftoolGUI are not mentioned, if they are or are not 32 or 64 bit applications

I think it doesn't matter whether ExifTool is run in a 32 Bit or 64 Bit Perl. I found that 64 Bit Strawberry Perl runs slightly slower than 32 Bit. Therefore I provide only a 32 bit version.

ExifToolGUI is 32 bit, but this also doesn't matter. To my knowledge, it makes no difference whether you use "C:\Program Files (x86)" or "C:\Program Files". You can put 32 bit and 64 bit applications in any folder.

Oliver

The trend, for several years now, is to develop applications in 64bits, to take better advantage of the computer's resources.  In this case, I hadn´t read, nothing about it.

I like to organize the aplications in the "programa files" folders, not outside of them.

Thanks for all.

obetz

Quote from: Manuel G. on March 25, 2020, 06:02:43 PM
The trend, for several years now, is to develop applications in 64bits, to take better advantage of the computer's resources.

This is an undue generalization. Which limitation are you afraid to run into?

If you demonstrate a real case breaking the limits of 32 bit ExifTool, I might provide a 64bit version.

In this case, I hadn´t read, nothing about it.

You can read in my last posting that the 64bit version is slightly slower.

Since it's very unlikely that ExifTool hits a 32 bit memory limit, I don't provide it (yet).

I like to organize the aplications in the "programa files" folders, not outside of them.

No problem, you are in control: Use my installer, select "Install for all users" and change the path accordingly.