export exif data to excel

Started by Paul175, March 26, 2020, 02:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul175

I am looking for a way to take a group of photos and create an excel spreadsheet with exif data (the file name and the date/time the photos were taken). I've tried looking at previous questions, but while I found similar questions, nothing seemed to really answer what I'm looking for. Would something like this be possible with exiftool?

Paul175

Just to add on to this (in case it can help someone provide the code I would need), I was trying to follow along the directions described here: https://medium.com/@hunchly/bulk-extracting-exif-metadata-with-hunchly-and-exiftool-164d67c8d7e2
But whenever I would try to put the code into the command prompt it comes back as saying "...is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file"

I have zero experience with exiftool, all I need to do is this one particular task of getting a spreadsheet with filenames and date/time for photos, so any help would be appreciated

StarGeek

Quote from: Paul175 on March 26, 2020, 04:24:41 PM
But whenever I would try to put the code into the command prompt it comes back as saying "...is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file"

Assuming Windows by that response, that's an error returned by CMD/Powershell.  It means that CMD can't find where you put exiftool or maybe you didn't rename it from exiftool(-k).exe to just exiftool.exe.

As the very simplest, your command would be something like
exiftool -DateTimeOriginal -csv >/path/to/file.csv /path/to/files/

Exiftool will automatically put in a path/filename in the first column called "SourceFile" and a column called "DateTimeOriginal" which is the most common tag that Windows uses for its "Date Taken" property.  PNGs or video files would have different tags you would have to use. See FAQ #3 to see how to view all the tags in a file.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Paul175

I realized what my problem was, I didn't realize that "photos" in the code was meant to be the name of the folder with the pictures (so I was trying the code with just photos while the folder had a different name). Simple mistake

Thanks for the help

exifacou

I recently did something similar and used exiftool export into csv file ...

exiftool -G -FileName -ModifyDate -ISO -Fnumber -ExposureTime -ExposureCompensation -csv . > ../tl-session-metadata.csv

I'm on MacOS and first used MS Excel for import.

Experience wasn't great since I had to use the excel csv wizard especially to configure the f-stop. Excel simply converted it automatically to a format although it shouldn't. I then tried Apple Numbers. Just loaded the file and everything was as it should. So - if you're a MacOS user I'd recommend using Apple Numbers for the task.