Order of copy and modify tags

Started by berliner_ffm, April 18, 2020, 09:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

berliner_ffm

I made a exiftool statements which would copy and rename my files based on a condition.
At the same time I wanted to add some tags (like keywords).

When doing a test-run (testname instead of filename) I noticed, that ExifTool somehow created temp-Files in the original directory (Probably to add to tags before copying). Is that correct? And can I change to order of operations, so that files are copied first and then tags are added? The reason is, that if I use that script in a memory card the card might not have the space to take the temp files.

My statement looks like this:

exiftool.exe -k -P -s -d %Y%m%d '-TestName<C:\Users\jens\Pictures\_current_work\${DateCreated}_SessionName_%-6.0f%-2nc.%e' -Subject+='Keyword' -if '$DateCreated == 20190518 ' D:\

Thanks for your help!

Phil Harvey

If you write any "real" tags, then a new file is created.  If you don't specify a different output directory (as you were doing when also writing FileName) then the new file is created in the same directory.  But if you specify a different directory then the new file is created there.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

berliner_ffm

makes sense. Thanks for your explanation