Author Topic: Help writing to images from CSV  (Read 133 times)

larzalere

Help writing to images from CSV
« on: April 17, 2020, 03:58:03 PM »
Hi - I'm sure the answer to this is somewhere but I've been knocking my head against Terminal for the past day and can't figure it out... My goal is simply to write metadata to a group of files from a CSV doc.  So far I've been able to read the files and create a CSV doc through exiftool -r -all -csv /Users/me/Desktop/testfolder > /Users/me/Desktop/metadata-out.csv

I notice that all the fields that are shown for these photos in Lightroom don't appear in these files, but I assume that's because these files are blank (for example. Title, Description, etc)

I open that CSV in Apple Numbers and then have either added data to a blank column (in one case I used "Model Number" since that was blank) or in a new column called "Title" (I tried other names, too).  I then export that file as a new CSV, encoded with Unicode (UTF-8)

The problem now comes when I try to write to the files - I have used (among other things)
exiftool -csv=metadata-outnew.csv -r /Users/me/Desktop/testfolder
and
exiftool -TAG=/Users/me/Desktop/metadata-outnew.csv
Neither of those seem to write anything into the files.
I've also tried executing these write commands using the "Your Commands" section of pyExiftool 0.5, with no luck

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong here, but I don't know what.  Please help and thanks!

larzalere

Re: Help writing to images from CSV
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 04:05:03 PM »
retracted - it was the same problem that another person had where Numbers had capitalized "Users/..." in the path...wow that was simple and now I'm going to go murder Numbers.  : )