Extract thumbnails for all images in a folder to another folder

Started by AndyBell, April 24, 2020, 11:08:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyBell

Hi

I'm brand new to ExifTool.

I want to use it to extract the small thumbnail images from a folder and save them in a new folder.

So far I have

exiftool -b -ThumbnailImage -w .JPG -ext * .

and this works. But I want to save the thumbnail JPEGS to a different folder and I can't find a way to do that. The folder to save to exists, although I'd like ExifTool to create it it needs be.

If I can get that to work, then I'd like to get -r working, so that ExIfTool recurses all subdirectories and saves the thumbnails to a corresponding folder...

Thus - image folders:

c:\images\one
               \two
                \three

Thumbnails go in:

c:\thumbs\one
                \two
                \three

Is this possible?

Finally, is there a way to say 'all supported image formats' rather than *

Many thanks,

Andy

Phil Harvey

Hi Andy,

Try this:

1. cd c:\images

2. exiftool -b -thumbnailimage -w c:/thumbs/%d%f.JPG -ext * -r .

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

Quote from: AndyBell on April 24, 2020, 11:08:09 AM
Finally, is there a way to say 'all supported image formats' rather than *

By default, exiftool will attempt to process all formats that it can write to.  I believe this pretty much covers most, if not all, image formats. And any image format that it doesn't cover is most likely not going to include ThumbnailImage.  You can probably just drop it.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

This command isn't writing to the files, so it will read all supported formats without the -ext option.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).