How to Batch Copy Metadata from one File to another with a Similar File Name

Started by rjreding, May 02, 2020, 12:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjreding

Hello,

I'm fairly new to ExifTool and need some help.  We take long duration MXF video files and clip them down into shorter Apple Quicktime ProRes MOV files.  The newly created MOV files have the same name as the original MXF files but a sequenced number is attached to the end of each MOV file name.  For example, the original MXF file named ABCD.mxf may have 3 corresponding shorter files named ABCD_001.mov, ABCD_002.mov, and ABCD.003.mov.  What I need to do is copy the ClipID tag from the original MXF file to the ClipID tag of the corresponding MOV files.  How would I go about doing this?  Thanks in advance for your help!

StarGeek

Assuming the Mov files are in the same directory as the MXF files, try
exiftool -ext mov -TagsFromFile %d/%-.4f.MXF -ClipID /path/to/MOVfiles/

The %-.4f tells exiftool that for every Mov file it processes, it drops the last 4 characters of the filename, not including the extension.

If the MXF files are in a different directory than the Mov files, then change the %d to the path to the MXF files.

This command creates backup files.  Add -Overwrite_Original to suppress the creation of backup files.  Add -r to recurse into subdirectories. 
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).