News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

A retirement project: Photographing birds

Started by Phil Harvey, May 21, 2020, 11:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Harvey

Since I retired on April 1, I have started a project to try to collect pictures of as many different types of birds as I can in the Kingston area.
Here is my photo album in case anyone is interested.

Also, here are the pictures I have uploaded to eBird.

- Phil

Edit: Added eBird link
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

<Insert Large Variety of Bird Jokes here>

Really, though, very cool.  Lots of nice pictures.

What program are you using to host the images? Something off the shelf or self made?  It's a pretty nice and simple gallery.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

Thanks.

I'm using my icat software for the image catalogue.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

jflu

Great photos and the website loads really fast!

Alan Clifford

Quote from: Phil Harvey on May 22, 2020, 05:52:41 AM
Thanks.

I'm using my icat software for the image catalogue.

- Phil

Hi Phil.
There are broken links on your icat page.  Probably because they still point to queenuca.

obetz

Quote from: Phil Harvey on May 21, 2020, 11:24:55 AM
I have started a project to try to collect pictures of as many different types of birds as I can in the Kingston area.

Nice! I especially like the Bald Eagle and of course the Snowbirds.

Here two really unique birds from Bavaria: https://pwg.oliverbetz.de/index.php/category/217-20170915 The yellow one is "adult" but the white one had his first flight on this day.

Oliver

Phil Harvey

Quote from: Alan Clifford on May 23, 2020, 10:35:13 AM
There are broken links on your icat page.  Probably because they still point to queenuca.

Right, thanks.  I've updated these.

- Phil

Phil Harvey

Quote from: obetz on May 24, 2020, 01:45:30 PM
Here two really unique birds from Bavaria: https://pwg.oliverbetz.de/index.php/category/217-20170915 The yellow one is "adult" but the white one had his first flight on this day.

Beautiful!!

- Phil

timgo

Phil, your retirement project with bird photos is quite interesting.  I suggest you add a regional location where your bird sighting occurred.  For instance the Skagit River, near Seattle in the USA has a high concentration of American bald eagles.  This location identifier would help others interested in finding the same species as you succeeded with.

Phil Harvey

Hi Timgo,

Thanks.  That's a good suggestion.  I should really carry my geotrakker and geotag these.

- Phil

tdavid66

I can't find Orioles in MD!   And you just go and (camera) shoot one!  Well done sir!  Since you are retired, I would suspect you are going to go back and geotag those?  ;D

Phil Harvey

Hi David,

Thanks.

I've been starting to carry my GPS tracker with me when shooting, so many of the more recent photos are geotagged (look for the Google Maps link toward the bottom of the EXIF information).  For example, the recent female Orchard Oriole is geotagged, but the older Baltimore Oriole pictures are not.

- Phil

jcharmon

Excellent project and great photos!

If I may, I'd suggest you check out iNaturalist.org, a world-wide citizen science project that collects observations of birds, insects, mammals, etc., etc. Now that you're using a GPS tracker, you'll have location data too. Your identification skill are much better than mine, I'm sure, but iNaturalist also has tools to help ID birds and other critters for those who aren't so knowledgeable.

Phil Harvey

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll look into it.

- Phil