How to remove metadata of .docx files?

Started by qwee, May 23, 2020, 09:58:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

qwee

Hello,

I hope somebody can help me out because this program is very complicated to use for me. So, I installed the normal program as well as the program with the GUI. Unfortunately the program with the GUI does not support .docx files, so I need to use the normal one.
I read these two pages: https://exiftool.org/dummies.html and https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php?topic=4888.0 but I still don't understand how to remove metadata of .docx files. I usually do it with online sites but I don't like it that my data is transferred over some servers.
So, what I exactly did, is that I renamed to normal file to "exiftool.exe" and moved it to "C:\Windows". Then I opened CMD (without admin rights on W10) and typed exiftool with a space. I then moved the file on the cmd window and clicked on ENTER. But for some reasons it doesn't do anything. It just shows me a description on the cmd file. (Also on the https://exiftool.org/dummies.html site I can't click on the red text, like "GIVE SOME EXAMPLES AND PICTURES HERE".)

It would be really nice if somebody could help me out or if the GUI program could be updated so it would support .docx files.
Thanks in Advance!

StarGeek

Unfortunately, ExifTool only displays metadata from docx files. It cannot edit or remove data.

Have you tried to see if Windows can remove the metadata?

• Right click on the file and select properties
  • Select the Details tab
  • At the bottom, click Remove Properties and Personal Information
  • A window will popup asking if you want to remove all info or a selected part, click OK
  • A new copy of the file will be created without the personal info
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

qwee

Quote from: StarGeek on May 23, 2020, 11:16:09 AM
Unfortunately, ExifTool only displays metadata from docx files. It cannot edit or remove data.

Have you tried to see if Windows can remove the metadata?

• Right click on the file and select properties
  • Select the Details tab
  • At the bottom, click Remove Properties and Personal Information
  • A window will popup asking if you want to remove all info or a selected part, click OK
  • A new copy of the file will be created without the personal info

Yes, I already did that. I even "removed" the personal by checking the document under information in Word.
Are there any other ways without using online sites?

StarGeek

You'll have to search for another solution then.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

qwee

Quote from: StarGeek on May 23, 2020, 01:06:23 PM
You'll have to search for another solution then.

Why's that? The program says that it doesn't support .docx files YET. I know for a fact that this program is some years old but it still hasn't been updated, just sad to see that Phil won't do anything.

Phil Harvey

The GUI is just a graphical interface to the command-line version of ExifTool.  The GUI doesn't support any file formats.  This is all done by the command-line tool.  The command-line tool is updated regularly,  here is the list of currently supported files.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

qwee

Quote from: Phil Harvey on May 25, 2020, 08:59:36 AM
The GUI is just a graphical interface to the command-line version of ExifTool.  The GUI doesn't support any file formats.  This is all done by the command-line tool.  The command-line tool is updated regularly,  here is the list of currently supported files.

- Phil

Thanks for your reply sir. But when I try to use to GUI to remove metadata of a .docx file it says:

0 image files updated
    1 files weren't updated due to errors
Error: Writing of DOCX files is not yet supported - test.docx
<-END-

Phil Harvey

Exactly.  Because ExifTool doesn't yet support writing DOCX files.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

qwee

Quote from: Phil Harvey on May 25, 2020, 09:15:23 PM
Exactly.  Because ExifTool doesn't yet support writing DOCX files.

- Phil

Ok, so how can I remove metadata of docx files with the command line tool since the GUI isn't supported yet? I tried the guide here on the site (and also read the "dummy" site) but w/e I move the file on the cmd window it just shows me the description of the command line tool. What am I doing wrong?

StarGeek

Quote from: qwee on May 26, 2020, 03:36:24 PM
Ok, so how can I remove metadata of docx files with the command line tool since the GUI isn't supported yet?

By looking for some other tool.  As has been said multiple times, Exiftool does not support editing the metadata of docx files.  This includes the GUI and the command line program.

Phil Harvey

StarGeek