News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Add data and description to jpgs of old scanned pictures

Started by thaddeusf, May 25, 2020, 08:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thaddeusf

Hello. I've looked all through the forum because surely this scenario is not unusual, but I still cannot get this to work and have no errors. One annoyance is that I've over used long filenames in the structure, but I've got everything quoted and it works from a command prompt perspective. System is Windows 10.

The command I'm running is:
F:\Restoration Projects\Granny BOOK Project>exiftool . -csv+="Martha Picture Captions - v3.0.csv" -sep -overwrite_original

Sample of CSV:
SourceFile,Description,Created,Title,Source
"F:\Restoration Projects\Granny BOOK Project\1909s-1930s\Martha Pemberton - 1909-1930 (1).jpg",Lillian between sisters ZeeRhu & Alice - Knoxville, TN,1924,Martha Essie Pemberton Book of Life,Martha Elizabeth Smith
"F:\Restoration Projects\Granny BOOK Project\1909s-1930s\Martha Pemberton - 1909-1930 (2).jpg",Joseph Pemberton - Rankin Road, Alcoa, TN,1916,Martha Essie Pemberton Book of Life,Martha Elizabeth Smith
"F:\Restoration Projects\Granny BOOK Project\1909s-1930s\Martha Pemberton - 1909-1930 (3).jpg",Martha and friends - Bowling Springs,1926,Martha Essie Pemberton Book of Life,Martha Elizabeth Smith

Result:
    1 directories scanned
    0 image files read

No errors and I can't understand what I'm doing wrong.  Any advise please?

Thanks!

Phil Harvey

Quote from: thaddeusf on May 25, 2020, 08:31:44 PM
F:\Restoration Projects\Granny BOOK Project>exiftool . -csv+="Martha Picture Captions - v3.0.csv" -sep -overwrite_original

The -sep option requires an argument to specify the separator you are using.  In your command, the separator will be "-overwrite_original", which isn't what you want. 

The .jpg files must be in the current directory for this command (since you specify "." as the file name).  But apparently they are not because 0 files were found.

Also, "Created" is not a valid tag name.  Do you mean "CreateDate"?

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

Quote from: Phil Harvey on May 25, 2020, 09:29:57 PM
The .jpg files must be in the current directory for this command (since you specify "." as the file name).  But apparently they are not because 0 files were found.

This. Your current directory is F:\Restoration Projects\Granny BOOK Project but all your files are in sub-folders.  Add the -r (recurse) option to recurse into those folders.

Also, your CSV seems to have more columns than headers.  For example, the first line would separate into this
"F:\Restoration Projects\Granny BOOK Project\1909s-1930s\Martha Pemberton - 1909-1930 (1).jpg"
Lillian between sisters ZeeRhu & Alice - Knoxville
TN
Martha Essie Pemberton Book of Life
Martha Elizabeth Smith
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

thaddeusf

Thanks for your help.

I'm certain I could eventually get the file location to work with my script, but the in this initial pass, I did as it was suggested and moved the csv file to the specific directory.

Also, thanks for pointing out the ga duh, comma mistake.

Thanks again.