Nikon D200 Exposure Time?

Started by CharlesHouston, June 13, 2020, 05:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlesHouston

Any idea of how the older Nikons record exposure time? I take 15 to 20 second exposures at night of satellites flying overhead - using my Nikon D200 and a zoom lens (it works GREAT by the way). I use EXIFTool to see the exact time of the exposure, of course the Nikon D200 has the peculiarity that it gives the time of shutter closing instead of opening! Grrrr.

Someone looks at some results of my photos and says that the exposure time appears to be more like 8 seconds even though EXIFtool does show that it was set at 15 seconds.

Is there a way to see the actual duration that the shutter was open?

Thanks

Charles
Charles
Amateur Astronomer
C++ Software Writer

Phil Harvey

Hi Charles,

All I know is what ExifTool extracts.  Did you use the -a -G1 options to see if there are any duplicate ExposureTime tags?  I don't have a D200 sample handy right now so I can't say any more at the moment.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

CharlesHouston

Phil -

I just ran EXIFTool on an image with those options and it gives me a lot of fields I have not yet seen. Let me look at them. I am going to take some test photos and time the exposure with my iPhone as well.

Charles
Charles
Amateur Astronomer
C++ Software Writer

CharlesHouston

Phil -

Oops the camera seems to use the right exposure time. I think that I assumed that one end of a streak was at the very end of the field of view, when actually the streak runs off the edge. I assumed what I wanted to find :-(

I timed a number of exposures with my iPhone and the exposure time seems very close.

Charles
Charles
Amateur Astronomer
C++ Software Writer