Exiftool does not process some MP4 files

Started by dzeek, June 17, 2020, 09:01:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dzeek

I'm getting the following error when using exiftool with some MP4 video files. As a result, exiftool exits without executing the command.

Error:
Warning: [Minor] Skipping 'moov' atom > 32 MB - D:/GSV2JPG/Sample videos/VID_20200611_110320_1fpers.mp4

Example command that does not work:
exiftool -api LargeFileSupport -VideoFrameRate -Duration -MediaCreateDate -Model -n -s3 "D:\GSV2JPG\Sample videos\VID_20200611_110320_1fpers.mp4"

I would appreciate any help in how to solve.

Thank you

StarGeek

* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

dzeek

I have and it masks the error and allows processing to continue but how will I know if it affects the results? I assume there is good reason to flag the condition as a warning but no explanation is given as to why and the possible implications in this situation.

Phil Harvey

The implication is that you could run out of memory trying to load such a large atom. ExifTool does this rather than possibly crashing on an out-of-memory condition.  If you have enough memory, then ignoring the error is fine.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

dzeek

Sorry, not sure I follow. 32 MB does not seem like much memory. Do you mean memory to load the atom itself or the data it indexes?

dzeek

Quote from: Phil Harvey on June 17, 2020, 06:25:43 PM
The implication is that you could run out of memory trying to load such a large atom. ExifTool does this rather than possibly crashing on an out-of-memory condition.  If you have enough memory, then ignoring the error is fine.

- Phil

Sorry, not sure I follow. 32 MB does not seem like much memory. Do you mean memory to load the atom itself or memory to process the data indexed by the atom?

Phil Harvey

32 MB can translate into quite a bit of memory after it is broken down into tags.  And I'm trying to work within a ~200 MB limit that I've seen on many Windows systems.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

obetz

Quote from: Phil Harvey on June 18, 2020, 09:08:47 PM
And I'm trying to work within a ~200 MB limit that I've seen on many Windows systems.

It would be interesting to learn more about this possible limit.

Maybe it depends on the Perl distribution? The OP rather likely uses the 64 bit Strawberry Perl version so there should be plenty of memory.

Oliver

dzeek

It would be interesting to understand the 200 MB limit mentioned. What is imposing the limit?