Finding GPS data from individually exported frames of a video

Started by Ozman34, July 16, 2020, 12:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ozman34

I am new to exiftool but this question maybe to complex searching the forum.

In short, i am looking to find a way to get the gps metadata from the individual exported frames of a video from an Iphone using Exiftool or any other known tool.

The idea is to map out those frames with the gps coordinates and see how accurate the GPS coordinates are with a standard gps device or google earth.

Is this possible without having to manually enter the gps metadata.

When i export the video frames using FFmpeg .png and .jpg do NOT keep the gps metadata for each frame.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

StarGeek

While exiftool can't export frames because it's not an image/video manipulation program, it can export the gps data as a GPS track file.  See Inverse Geotagging.

You can download the format files from Github.  The command to use is under "Usage:" in the comments.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Ozman34

Thanks. Tried to follow the steps but the .gpx and .kml files are not working in google maps or google earth. I will keep messing arounf with it. I feel like i am close. The videos i am using do have the gps data from exiftool but it doesnt seem to be adding the coordinates to the .gpx files.

Ozman34

I am a little confused on this part

"Since no directory was specified for gpx.fmt, this file must exist in the current directory when the above command is executed. (If the gpx.fmt file can't be found then the -p argument is interpreted as a string instead of a file name, and the text "gpx.fmt" is sent to the output, which isn't what we want.)"

StarGeek

In the example just above that text, the command is given as -p gpx.fmt. Since there is no path part to the gpx file in that example, i.e. it doesn't say something like C:\Users\Ozman34\Documents\gpx.fmt, that means the exiftool is looking for the file in the current directory for CMD.  If exiftool can't find the file, then it's just going to print the static string over and over.

If in doubt, provide a full filepath to the gpx.fmt file.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Ozman34

Thank you, I got the output to work but its not importing into any gps software like google earth or maps and is only giving me the gps data from the video and not the gps location for all points in the video. Thanks though

Phil Harvey

For importing into Google Earth, I use this command:

exiftool -ee -p kml_track.fmt FILE > out.kml

Then import the KML file into Google Earth.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).