EXIFTOOL Runs great the first time, second time is different

Started by nsandberg, July 10, 2020, 09:39:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nsandberg

So here is my issue.  EXIFTOOL runs great the first time that I run it after the computer has been restarted.  The very next time I run it, it slows my system way down, my BT mouse and keyboard refuse to work, and the monitor blacks out.  The only way out of it is to hold the restart button down.  Even a wired mouse and keyboard do not work.  This is the command I am using for what I am extracting from the files on a drive.  Like I said, works the first time after a restart, but not any time after that, unless I restart.  Please help!!

exiftool -csv -r -b -filename -ID -Disk -Directory -CreateDate -Model -AvgBitrate -CompressorName -FileSize -FileType -Format -Subject -Creator -CreatorCity -CreatorPostalCode -CreatorRegion -CreatorWorkEmail -CreatorWorkURL -VideoFrameRate -ImageSize  -AltTimecodeTimeFormat -title -description -keywords -copyright -ext mov -ext mp4 -ext braw g:\VideoFootage > g:\Data_2020.csv

Phil Harvey

...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

Additionally, if you have antivirus software running, you might tell it to ignore exiftool.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

nsandberg

I saw that on the forums to ignore EXIFTOOL, but I don't have antivirus running.  I am at a loss as to what this is.

obetz

Quote from: nsandberg on July 10, 2020, 11:26:05 AM
I don't have antivirus running.

You disabled Windows Defender?

Quote from: nsandberg on July 10, 2020, 11:26:05 AM
I am at a loss as to what this is.

Did you try my alternate installer as Phil advised?

If you do so, be sure to remove any standard ExifTool leftover in the temp directory as described in https://exiftool.org/install.html

Both versions don't interact, but the symptoms you described are very strange.

nsandberg

Defender is off.  I did try your alternate version and same thing happened.  I did a bunch of beta testing today.  After I run it, if I run it again within the next couple of minutes it happens and I have to completely power off the computer to gain back control.  If I wait a couple of hours in between running EXIFTOOL then it works.  I don't need to run it often but as I have been fine tuning the data I need extracted for my MySQL database, I have had to run it more often.  Once I am done and have it set I will only need to run it after I add new video footage or pictures which is about once a week.  So this is not a huge deal just thought I would throw this out there in case others have the same issue.

Phil Harvey

I don't recall every seeing this problem before.  I've seen the opposite:  ExifTool takes long to run the first time, but after that it is faster.

I was thinking about a virus scanner interaction as well.  Other than that, I don't have any ideas.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

obetz

that's so weird that I would look for completely different causes like "carburetor jet of the hard disk is clogged" or similar unthinkable things.

Kidding aside: It could very well be a hard disk failure.

nsandberg

Do you think it could be because I am extracting the data from a RAID?

Phil Harvey