News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

embed nksc into nef

Started by frthde, July 13, 2020, 08:01:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frthde

Can someone help me find if it is possible to embed nksc sidecar files into nef files directly?

For xmp I used exiftool "-xmp<=%d/%f.xmp" -ext nef .

For nksc I tried various variants like copying the nksc.config together with exiftool.exe to the C:\Windows directory and running something like: exiftool -config nksc.config "-nksc<=%d/%f.nksc" -ext %d/%f.nef .

Any help on 1) if this is possible and 2) how to do it would be greatly appreciated
If possible please bear in mind that the nksc files are by default put into a NKSC_PARAM directory and not into the same directory as the image files.

Many thanks in advance
Thomas

I use win10pro

Phil Harvey

You just need a place to put it.  In general I wouldn't recommend trying to put something non-standard into a RAW file like NEF, but if you choose the right location it shouldn't cause any problems.  Either a user-defined EXIF tag or some Baes64-encoded XMP tag may do.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

Is there any particular reason you want to do this?  The resulting embedded data would not be readable by any program.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Alan Clifford

Quote from: StarGeek on July 13, 2020, 12:33:21 PM
Is there any particular reason you want to do this?  The resulting embedded data would not be readable by any program.

I can see the logic behind this. It puts the editing back inside the photo file that you could retrieve later. There is always the danger that sidecar files could become dissasociated from the photo file.