Main Menu

Modify File Info

Started by iastate, August 05, 2020, 02:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iastate

I am geting "Warning: Error creating directory for..." and no files move.  DSTDIR I used the destination directory and SRCDIR as the Source Directory.  I have tried using the destination directory as one already created and also one that was not created already with the same result. 

It ends up scanning 755 directories - updating zero files and 3696  files weren't updated due to errors.

Phil Harvey

Yes, DSTDIR is the destination directory.  The error indicates that DSTDIR couldn't be created.  What was the DSTDIR you used, and what was the current directory when you ran the command?

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

iastate

exiftool '-directory=/Volumes/Stuff/All\ Other\ Files' -r /Volumes/Stuff/PHOTOS\ NAS

This is the command I used.  I am running it off an external HDD where the top level folder is Stuff and the sub folder I want to put all other files into is call "All Other Files".  "PHOTOS NAS" is the sub folder that has many folders underneath it that is also under Stuff.

I am clicking and dragging the source and destination paths from Finder into Terminal to ensure I am getting the path right. 

StarGeek

Quote from: iastate on August 08, 2020, 01:23:42 PM
'-directory=/Volumes/Stuff/All\ Other\ Files'

I don't believe you need to escape the spaces when you have quotes around the argument.  Use either
-directory=/Volumes/Stuff/All\ Other\ Files
or 
'-directory=/Volumes/Stuff/All Other Files'
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

iastate

when I run this command:

exiftool -ext jpg '-Filename<DateTimeOriginal' -r -d '/Volumes/Photos Project/Pictures/%Y/%B/%Y-%m-%d%%+.3c.%%e' /Volumes/Photos\ Project/4TB_WD_BackupWorkLaptop

My objective is to rename the files it can to the date it was created and then move it to the appropriate year - month folders.  This appears to be working good for all images that have writeable tags.  The issue I am having now is I am getting an error "Warning: Error removing old file...." and it copies the file to the new folder structure with a new name but it also leaves the old image and old name in the old folder.  This is causing me headaches because I am trying to move the ones it can (and rename) while leaving only the ones it cant rename so I can go in manually and tag / rename them. 

Any thoughts?