Edit X3F White Balance/PrimaryChromaticities

Started by tagscuderia, August 05, 2020, 04:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tagscuderia

Hi, I'm hoping to edit the (0x013f) PrimaryChromaticities tag found in X3Fs e.g. 0.64, 0.33, 0.21, 0.71, 0.15, 0.06 to all zeroes or all ones.
Ideally I'd use ExifToolGUI but I'm on macOS and frankly haven't the foggiest where to start :-[
Ha, I thought that this would be easy!
Is anybody willing to enlighten me as to the Terminal command required? It'd be greatly appreciated!

Also will it edit the original X3F, or write a new file? Or is there an option? Ideally I'd drag and drop a directory and it would write to folder within it.
Many thanks for your help − I'm getting nowhere fast figuring this out on my own.
Cheers,
Tom.

Edit: originally I was looking at another user's EXIF sample, from a dp2 Quattro − his readout has "[IFD0] PrimaryChromaticities" which seems to be missing from my SD1M X3Fs... ? What's the correct call, I've used: "exiftool -s - EXIF:all filename.x3f"

StarGeek

Quote from: tagscuderia on August 05, 2020, 04:18:57 PM
Hi, I'm hoping to edit the (0x013f) PrimaryChromaticities tag found in X3Fs e.g. 0.64, 0.33, 0.21, 0.71, 0.15, 0.06 to all zeroes or all ones.

I'm not familiar with the tag, but looking at the EXIF tag page it looks like your command would be along these lines
exiftool -PrimaryChromaticities="0 0 0 0 0 0" /path/to/files

QuoteIdeally I'd use ExifToolGUI but I'm on macOS and frankly haven't the foggiest where to start :-[
The ExifToolGUI is Windows only and has long since lost any technical support from the author.  But hvdwolf has created a Java based GUI that you might try out.  See here for latest links.

QuoteAlso, is it possible to set a directory or are you limited to working on an image by image basis?
You can set any number of directories and filenames, limited only by the line length.  For example, if I wanted to see the data for a single image in one directory and all the images in another, I could use something like this
exiftool Y:\Pictures\Holiday\IMG_001.jpg Y:\Pictures\BirthdayParty\
That would show me the data for IMG_001.jpg and all the files in the BirthdayParty directory.

QuoteAnd will it edit the X3F or write a new file? Or is there an option?
Exiftool will always create a new copy of the file, rename the old one by adding _original to the end, and then renaming the new copy to the old name.  The is a couple of options that can change some of this behavior.  The -overwrite_original option will delete the _original file once the new file has been successfully created.  The -overwrite_original_in_place option will create the new file, then open the original file for writing and overwrite the contents of the original file with the contents of the new file.  On a Mac, this has the effect of preserving original file creation date, type, creator, label color, icon, Finder tags, etc.

Another option often used with the above is the -P (preserve) option, which will preserve the FileModifyDate timestamp.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

tagscuderia

That's brilliant, thank you so much!
Annoyingly, it would appear that the tags for Merrill and Quattro are different so I need to do some digging to figure out how Merrill stores its 3x3 White Balance and Colour Mode matrices. But I can see what's what now, regards to how the commands work.
And thanks for the link to the Java GUI, that may be a big help!
Cheers.

tagscuderia

Quote from: tagscuderia on August 05, 2020, 04:18:57 PM
Hi, I'm hoping to edit the (0x013f) PrimaryChromaticities tag found in X3Fs...

Edit: originally I was looking at another user's EXIF sample, from a dp2 Quattro − his readout has "[IFD0] PrimaryChromaticities" which seems to be missing from my SD1M X3Fs... ? What's the correct call, I've used: "exiftool -s - EXIF:all filename.x3f"
Ah, ExifTool added support for the dp2 Quattro in version 12.00 — whatever was updated, clearly doesn't work for the SD1M; SIGMA have gained zero popularity for constantly changing their RAWs and metadata!
X3F Tools is now open source and rolled into LibRaw, could that help improve support for X3Fs? Rather than having to look at it on a camera by camera basis.
It would be great (for me anyway) to be able to use ExifTool with my SD1M.
Thanks everybody for looking and thanks again to StarGeek.