R package relies on exiftool, cannot find path

Started by Johanna17, August 06, 2020, 10:47:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johanna17

Hi there,

please excuse my potentially sloppy use of terminology- I'm relatively new to programming.

I need to analyse some FLIR thermal infrared images for an ecological research project. We would like to use the ThermStats package for R, which relies on the ExifTool. As far as I'm aware, I followed the instructions on how to install the exiftool, but I keep getting the same error message in R when I specify the path to the tool, saying "'exiftool' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file" (see attached images).

This seems odd to me, as I:

-have successfully installed and loaded the 'exifr' package in R

-am able to execute the 'read_exif()' function

-am able to get back the version number:
"> exifr::exiftool_version()
[1] 11.4"

-find a path for the tool at:
> exifr::configure_exiftool()
Trying perl command: `perl`
Perl found at `perl`
Trying ExifTool at `perl` with args `"C:/Users/c770g03/Documents/Programmes/R/R-4.0.2/library/exifr/exiftool/exiftool.pl"`
ExifTool found at `perl` with args `"C:/Users/c770g03/Documents/Programmes/R/R-4.0.2/library/exifr/exiftool/exiftool.pl"`
Using ExifTool version 11.4
(see attached images)

I have tried lots of things like deleting and reinstalling the ExifTool, changing paths etc.
Any help towards resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Johanna

StarGeek

Quote from: Johanna17 on August 06, 2020, 10:47:57 AMbut I keep getting the same error message in R when I specify the path to the tool, saying "'exiftool' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file" (see attached images).

You picture doesn't show that "exiftool" isn't recognized, it shows that "exiftool.plexiftool" is not recognized.  I don't know anything about R, but somewhere in your config or code, the word "exiftool" is being added directly to the part that runs the command.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Johanna17

Thanks for your reply! I have noticed that, but I have no idea how to change that automatic addition... this doesn't happen for any other paths. I guess I'll consult the R help again. Grateful for any suggestions though!