News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Geotagging MP4 files - unrecognised by Google Photos

Started by gmc, August 30, 2020, 05:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmc

Hi, looking for some help. I've geotagged some MP4 videos which appears to work but when I then upload to Google Photos the location isn't recognised, is there a way to fix this? I've also found that Windows is unable to read the GPS location (through 'Properties'). I'm running ExifTool from a Windows batch file:

exiftool.exe -GPSLongitudeRef=W -GPSLongitude=-81.515751 -GPSLatitudeRef=N -GPSLatitude=27.664880 -api largefilesupport=1 INPUT.MP4

Thanks in advance

Note that if I run:exiftool.exe INPUT.MP4 -gpslatitude -gpslongitude it DOES read the location data.

StarGeek

Quote from: gmc on August 30, 2020, 05:01:36 PM
I've geotagged some MP4 videos which appears to work but when I then upload to Google Photos the location isn't recognised, is there a way to fix this?

Last time I check, Google Photos didn't recognize any data in video files.  But it's been over a year since then, so I double checked.  It looks like they added the ability to read some data.  It now reads the Quicktime:CreateDate and the Quicktime:GPSCoordinates (but nothing else, it appears).

So you can set Quicktime:GPSCoordinates (or Keys:GPSCoordinates, same tag) with Latitude, Longitude, and optionally the Altitude, just put a space between each number
exiftool -GPSCoordinates="40.6892 -74.0445 50" /path/to/file.mp4

QuoteI've also found that Windows is unable to read the GPS location (through 'Properties').

Windows reads only a few video tags, other than it's own Microsoft XTRA tags, which almost no program other than windows will read or write.

QuoteI'm running ExifTool from a Windows batch file:

exiftool.exe -GPSLongitudeRef=W -GPSLongitude=-81.515751 -GPSLatitudeRef=N -GPSLatitude=27.664880 -api largefilesupport=1 INPUT.MP4

This command will write GPS coordinates to the XMP GPS tags.  There's no standard for EXIF GPS tags in video files.  The XMP tags will be read by Adobe products, such as Bridge or Lightroom, but that's about it.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

gmc

Quote from: StarGeek on August 30, 2020, 06:26:34 PM
So you can set Quicktime:GPSCoordinates (or Keys:GPSCoordinates, same tag) with Latitude, Longitude, and optionally the Altitude, just put a space between each number
exiftool -GPSCoordinates="40.6892 -74.0445 50" /path/to/file.mp4

Thanks StarGeek, I've tried this but got the following output:

Warning: Error converting value for UserData:GPSCoordinates (PrintConvInv)
Nothing to do.

The input was:

-GPSCoordinates="27.664880 -81.515751 0" -overwrite_original INPUT.MP4

StarGeek

Ooops, sorry.  I thought I tested it out.  I forgot the commas between each value.

Try
-GPSCoordinates="27.664880, -81.515751, 0"

Example:
C:\>exiftool -P -overwrite_original -GPSCoordinates="27.664880, -81.515751, 0" Y:\!temp\Test1.mp4
    1 image files updated

C:\>exiftool -g1 -a -s -GPSCoordinates Y:\!temp\Test1.mp4
---- ItemList ----
GPSCoordinates                  : 27 deg 39' 53.57" N, 81 deg 30' 56.70" W, 0 m Above Sea Level
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).