Copying IPTC from .nef to .tif and .jpg. Input/help highly appreciated

Started by HvTMedia, October 27, 2020, 07:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HvTMedia

Sorry for the long post but I'm hoping that the background will help explaining the problem.

I'm in the process of tagging my Nikon raw files with metadata. Haven't really done that before and I do have a lot of Nikon raw files. The tagging as such is not a problem although it will take quite a long time to finish. The problem is that I'll have to do the same thing with the corresponding tif- and jpgfiles and copy the information on a file by file basis. The files have the same names but are in different directories (photo/Borneo/nef, photo/Borne/tif, and so on) I understand that the copying of the iptc-data is something that can be "easily" achieved using exiftool but I can't figure out how to do this.

In 2011 I created a process of copying exif from nef to tif/jpg that worked well. I'm on Mac so I created an "automator" app. I don't know how I succeeded but I did. Tried to use that process again but to no avail. After (successfully) choosing source and target directories the automator app displays the following error message:

---------
The action "Run Shell Script" encountered an error: "-: line 2: exiftool: command not found
-: line 2: exiftool: command not found

----------

The script look as follows:

for f in "$@"
do
      exiftool -tagsfromfile "$1"/%f.nef  -exif:  all  -ext tif "$2"
done

----------

The Mac automator app is attached.

Regards
Hans

Alan Clifford

It looks to me that exiftool is not in the path used by your script.  Probably an automator problem.

On a command line type

which exiftool

You should see something like

/usr/local/bin/exiftool

If you do, replace exiftool with whatever you see where I see /usr/local/bin/exiftool

Edit.  You've also got dodgy quotes "$1" and I don't think those will work.  You'd need to use ".

HvTMedia

Thanks for the very quick reply!

I see /usr/local/bin/exiftool when I type "which exiftool" on the command line. In the automator app I see Shell: /bin/bash but I can't change that but I can choose some other alternatives as well but not the one reported on the command line. I can't add anything to the "Shell" line and I can't (don't know how) access any of these directories to see if it would help to move exif to that location. Any ideas?

//Hans

HvTMedia

It Works!

My first attempt didn't work because I didn't follow your instructions to the letter. When I did, it worked lika a charm. You're a real lifesaver. Thanks again.

Regards

Hans