How to create spreadsheet to GEOTag 1000 images for Website SEO

Started by photodata, October 31, 2020, 08:10:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

photodata

Hello, I have a website with lots of images. I have seen a handful of websites that allow anyone to geotag their images for SEO purposes. However these don't really seem like an option when you have over 1000 images that need to be tagged with unique GPS details.

I have just installed the latest Exiftool and renamed it as suggested on a Windows 10 Laptop. I have it running on command prompt and I tested an image and it displayed the details as expected.

I am new to this software and what I would like to understand if anyone can please help me, is how to create a spreadsheet where I list of all my image filenames in one column and the lat and long details in another column or 2. Then I would like to know the command for Exiftool to process the spreadsheet and add the unique GPS details for each image in one session.

If anyone can help with this it is very much appreciated

Thank you
Keith

Alan Clifford

Where is the gps data coming from?  Do you intend to type it in?

photodata

Yes Im going to collect the GPS lat and long details and enter it into the spreadsheet manually. thanks

StarGeek

For details, see the -csv option and FAQ #12.

The basic command would be
exiftool -n -csv -GPSLatitude -GPSLongitude >/path/to/Output.csv /path/to/files/

This will create a CSV file that looks like this
SourceFile,GPSLatitude,GPSLongitude
y:/!temp/Test4.jpg,40.6892,-74.0445

* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Alan Clifford

I think you need a -csv in there

I just tried it in my temp directory
exiftool -n  -csv -GPSLatitude -GPSLongitude >output.csv -ext jpg .

and then just opened the file in openoffice.

StarGeek

Quote from: Alan Clifford on October 31, 2020, 12:49:43 PM
I think you need a -csv in there

Ooops, yep.  Fixed.

But based upon the second post, I might have misunderstood a bit.  Since it appears that importing the data back into the images is part of it, then the output would also need the references

exiftool -n -csv -GPSLatitude -GPSLatitudeRef -GPSLongitude -GPSLongitudeRef >/path/to/Output.csv /path/to/files/

With the resulting file of
SourceFile,GPSLatitude,GPSLatitudeRef,GPSLongitude,GPSLongitudeRef
y:/!temp/Test4.jpg,40.6892,N,-74.0445,W

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Alan Clifford

I had a play with Nikon ViewNX-i which allows you to select a location on a map/satelite image and then save it to a sidecar file.  The downside of this, to get the location actually into the file, is that the photo has to be "Converted".  So I thought that maybe exiftool could read the, propriatory format, sidecar file. 

Almost

[Composite]     GPS Position                    : AAAAAACAQEAAAAAAAAAcQAAAAEB10kJA, AAAAAAAAMkAAAAAAAAAIQAAAAOCtL0BA

photodata

Thanks to everyone for their help.
I managed to be able to update some test images.
using a csv with SourceFile,GPSLatitude,GPSLatitudeRef,GPSLongitude,GPSLongitudeRef
and the command promt      exiftool -csv="c:/imagetest/input2.csv" "c:/imagetest"
to update them.

When I check the the images with exiftool they are updated corrrectly.

However I just have another question which is bugging me.
The test images I updated using the csv above are ones I created myself and are not from a camera.

When I test the updated images with a website like pic2map dot com,  the site doesnt read the image data and fails saying No EXIF data was found in the files. Do I need images that pass the test on this website for Google to be able to recognise the GPS image data and therfore give me the SEO benefit for my website? If so what do I need to do to make these images properly readable on pic2map?

Thank You Everyone!

Alan Clifford

photodata

Sure here is the upated  image, Thanks

Alan Clifford

First look shows that the mapping function of Nikon Viewnx-i finds the data, see attached, so I wonder what you pictomap site is looking for

Alan Clifford

It needed a little more data for the pic2map site.

exiftool -make=FUJIFILM -model=X-S1 test2.jpg

StarGeek

Well, Adobe Bridge has no problem showing the GPS coordinates.  Windows 10 Properties on the file also shows the GPS.  I tried a few tricks, editing the data in various ways, re-writing the file (lossless transform with Irfanview).  It still said "No EXIF data was found" ever though the data was obviously there.

Obviously, their parsing routines are very picky.  But it's a problem on that website's end, not with the image itself, as it wouldn't read several other images I tried.

StarGeek

Quote from: Alan Clifford on November 01, 2020, 10:46:12 AM
It needed a little more data for the pic2map site.

exiftool -make=FUJIFILM -model=X-S1 test2.jpg

Ah, you're right.  And it doesn't need to be a real camera.  Any data in the Make tag will make it work.  This test didn't include the Model

Alan Clifford

Yes, I just tried

exiftool -make=STUPID -model=PARSING test3.jpg