Main Menu

Orientation

Started by ron1521, November 19, 2020, 10:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ron1521

I am having major issues with exif Orientation settings. I am capturing photographic slides using my LG K51S mobile phone camera. Because of the design of the copying device I built, the phone is capturing the images in Inverse Landscape mode - the camera button is at the left.  Windows File Explorer and MS Access show them upside-down. IrfanView shows them right-way-up. It shows the exif orientation as "bottom right:. exifToolGUI gives the Orienstation in IDF0 as Rotate 180 but in IDF1 as Horizontal (Normal). I don't know what IDF1 means. Changing the Orientation# in Workspace doesn't seem to work. If I type 1 in the textbox at the bottom right of the screen the Save button doesn't become enabled but the Orientation# field changes to 1 . If I do it again, it sets the Orientation# to Horizontal (Normal) but File Explorer IrfanView and Access now all see the image inverted. IrfanView shows the Orientation as Top Left.

I can put the slides upside down in the copying device but that creates other issues.

The phone displays the ISO and exposure etc the righ way up in the top right of the viewfinder image.

There is another possible clue to what's happening - the phone doesn't always sense its orientation correctly. It does in most apps, but in the Home Screen, it maintains Portrait mode whichever way I hold the phone. I've reported this to LG but their response is "just get used to it".

I'm completely confused. Any advice would be gratefully received. I'm sure there's a simple solution, but I can't see what it is.

StarGeek

Quote from: ron1521 on November 19, 2020, 10:17:34 PMexifToolGUI gives the Orienstation in IDF0 as Rotate 180 but in IDF1 as Horizontal (Normal). I don't know what IDF1 means.

IDF1 is where the thumbnail for the image is stored and it's likely that the orientation there is for the thumbnail.  You can ignore it.

In Irfanview, check the Auto-rotate setting under Options->Properties/Settings

If that is checked and irfanview is showing the image correctly, then the Orientation is set correctly.  If it's not checked and irfanview is showing the image correctly, then the Orientation is probably set incorrectly.

If you have the irfanview plugins installed, one of them is Options->JPEG Lossless Rotation.  As long as you haven't cropped the images, you can use that to rotate the images with no loss of quality.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).