Your Strawberry Perl selftest before release?

Started by obetz, January 22, 2021, 05:02:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

obetz

Hi Phil,

your 12.16 release notes state "Fixed problem that caused a failed DPX test on Strawberry Perl".

I also run the selftest before I upload the new packages to my site, and I didn't get an error for the 12.15 version, so I'm interested whether I might miss other problems as well.

How do you test the Strawberry Perl version before you release a new version?

Since I use a subset of the full Strawberry Perl installation, I also use a slightly different way to invoke the selftest.

Oliver

Phil Harvey

Hi Oliver,

I guess it isn't all versions of Strawberry Perl then, but I was getting enough failed test reports, all running Strawberry Perl, that I wanted to do a re-release.  The failure was very minor, and wouldn't cause any problems, but I hate having failed test results.

The test failure was because that version of Perl returned "-1.#QNAN" instead of just "nan" for an illegal floating-point number.  (It was the fact that the result contained a number that caused the problem.)

eg. I get this:

> perl -e 'print unpack("f","\xff\xff\xff\xff"),"\n"'
nan

Here are all the test reports(The link isn't working for me at the moment, but it should come back online soon.  It occasionally has problems due to high loads.)

- Phil

Edit: cpantesters is back online now, and looking at all of the results, the test fails on Strawberry Perl versions 5.20 or earlier, and passes on all versions 5.22 or later.  So it seems that this was fixed in 5.22.  The tests cover all (even-numbered) versions from 5.12 to 5.32.
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

obetz

I see - that's from the tests done with "production releases" submitted to CPAN.

So I will continue to run the automated tests for each release I build (and report any error).

In addition, I make some Windows specific tests each time I switch the Perl environment, but that's rather seldom. At the moment, I'm distributing ExifTool with Strawberry Perl 5.30.2.1 and libraries as of 2020-02.

Oliver

Phil Harvey

Hi Oliver,

Quote from: obetz on January 22, 2021, 09:23:32 AM
I see - that's from the tests done with "production releases" submitted to CPAN.

Yes.

So I will continue to run the automated tests for each release I build (and report any error).

Great, thanks.  Then we have a chance to catch any problems before a production release.

At the moment, I'm distributing ExifTool with Strawberry Perl 5.30.2.1 and libraries as of 2020-02.

That explains why you didn't see the problem.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).