Batch insert keywords based on matching image name

Started by po, January 25, 2021, 08:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

po

I was looking at this thread Command to remove quotes from around keywords?, and I saw this command:
exiftool -tagsfromfile @ -Keywords "-subject<Keywords" -sep ", " -r DIR

I think a variant on that would be ideal for what I am hoping to achieve.

Background:
I have 1550 PSD images where I have been applying keywords over a period of time.

I recently noticed a problem with the PSD images.
I have an original (backup) set of PSDs.

I would like to copy all the keywords from the damaged set, and insert them into the original (backup) set of images.

I am hoping this can be done in a single operation.

Am I wishful thinking?
It seems like exiftool is ideal for this, but I am not familiar with it, and it has a stunning array of options to consider.

Lastly, Can I do it in the GUI tool?

Thanks for reading and any advice in advance.
:)

StarGeek

The command would basically be something like this, assuming the files have the same name and are in different directories
exiftool -TagsFromFile /path/to/sourcefiles/%f.%e -Keywords /path/to/targetfiles/

This command would overwrite any Keywords in the target file.  If you need to combine keywords from both files, the it would be a bit more complex.  Also, you should double check where the keywords are located.  They might be in Keywords, Subject or HierarchicalSubject or even all three at once.

I don't know how much of that would be possible in the gui.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

po

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.

The gui isn't essential
A merge isn't required. There were no keywords on the older/original files.

I'll be working with the owner of the images in the next day or two.
I'll let you know how it goes.

Again, many thanks, much appreciated.

po

Tested on a small batch of 5 (funny story here, not relevant)
Worked like a charm!

Currently running over the full set of 1550 images, and its been a fantastically helpful tool.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It's a problem that's been nagging at me for a few weeks.