'Focus Distance 2' in the ARW file

Started by cmkf, January 04, 2021, 10:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmkf

Hi Phil,

I can use exiftool (-k, version 12.13) to get the "Focus Distance 2' value in the Sony A9 RAW file (*.ARW), but I can not find it shows in ExifToolGui tool. How can i do to show this one?

Thanks!
David

Phil Harvey

Hi David,

Are you running the same version of ExifTool from the GUI?

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

cmkf

Hi Phil,

Yes, I put he exiftool.exe (version 12.13) with the same folder of ExifToolGui (version 5.16) tool.

Thanks!
David

Phil Harvey

I'm not convinced.  When you view the EXIF with ExifToolGUI, does it show ExifTool Version is 12.13?  And it shows some MakerNote tags, but not the same as from the command line?  I don't have any idea how this could happen, but I'm no expert on the GUI.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

cmkf

Hi Phil,

I found the "Focus Distance 2' lists under the 'Composite', not under the 'Makernotes'.

Thanks,
David

Phil Harvey

Hi David,

This makes sense.  I was incorrectly assuming this was a MakerNote tag.

- Phil

cmkf

Hi Phil,

Do you mean that ExifToolGui does not support 'Composite' and can not shows 'Focus Distance 2'?

Thanks,
David

cmkf

Hi Phil,

Finally, I got the answer from ExifToolGui's manual.

"
Show Composite tags in view ALL
Composite tags aren't "real" tags (their values are calculated from various existing tags), so they are shown optionally.
"

Thanks,
David