Use of Metadata to Create Captions

Started by michaelw, February 11, 2021, 04:59:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

michaelw

Hi There
I wonder if some of the clever people on this Forum can help me. I am brand new to Exiftool.

I have around 250,000 + images a mixture of scanned images and images from a variety of digital cameras, which I am try to manage more effectively, a long job!

At present I am working on a series of Scanned Images which were scanned some years ago and given names such as:
1999 - 10 - 06 - In and around Red Rocks, Morrison, Colorado
1999 - 10 - 06 - In and around Red Rocks, Morrison, Colorado_0001
1999 - 10 - 06 - In and around Red Rocks, Morrison, Colorado_0002
1999 - 10 - 06 - In and around Red Rocks, Morrison, Colorado_0003
1999 - 10 - 06 - In and around Red Rocks, Morrison, Colorado_0004
1999 - 10 - 09 - South Park, Fairplay-Engine Room
1999 - 10 - 09 - South Park, Fairplay-Engine Room_0001
1999 - 10 - 09 - South Park, Fairplay-Engine Room_0002

and so on. Some of the file names have sequential numbers and some do not.

I want to use the filenames names as captions, and I want to use an action or batch process to do this.  I am using ACDSee Ultimate 2021 to manage and manipulate the images.

Thanks to help from the ACDSEE forum the method that has been suggested is to embed the filenames into  IPTC->ObjectName.  I can then use ACDSee to create captions. 

For those files that have the  _nnnn.jpg ending I am using exiftool "-iptc:ObjectName<${filename;s/_....\.jpg//i}" *.jpg which works perfectly.   However not surprisingly this does not work for those files that do not have the  _nnnn.jpg ending.  For these I use exiftool "-iptc:ObjectName<${filename;s/\.jpg//i}" *.jpg which again works but for the _nnnn.jpg files it puts the _nnnn back into IPTC->ObjectName.  Whichever order I run the Exiftoll command in the other files with a different naming structure is affected.

Now I know that I could move the two "types" of files into different folders and run the commands separately, but I have 100s of thousand of files so that would be a pain.

I was wondering if there is a way in exiftool to run the first command exiftool "-iptc:ObjectName<${filename;s/_....\.jpg//i}" *.jpg which works on the _nnnn.jpg files but leaves the .jpg in the others, then have a command in Exiftool that goes through the files looking just for the ones that have .jpg in the IPTC->ObjectName and stripping the .jpg out by perhaps temporarily writing the contents of the IPTC->ObjectName into another not used location then writing it back but without the .jpg.  Or can I get Exiftool to only apply the 2nd command exiftool "-iptc:ObjectName<${filename;s/\.jpg//i}" *.jpg to those files that do not have _nnnn at the end.

Any assistance would be most gratefully received.

Regards

Michael

Phil Harvey

Hi Michael,

I think this may be what you want:

exiftool "-iptc:ObjectName<${filename;s/_....\.jpg//i;s/\.jpg//i}" -ext jpg .

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

michaelw

Phil,
Thank you for your reply.  When I tried your suggestion I got the response no file specified, so I tried adding " *.jpg " to the end so the complete command was

exiftool "-iptc:ObjectName<${filename;s/_....\.jpg//i;s/\.jpg//i}" -ext jpg *.jpg and it worked perfectly so thank you very much.

I presume that the addition of the ;s/\.jpg specifies the files that do not have the _nnnn should also be modified, is there a limit as to how many of this type of parameters can be added?

Also what is the purpose of -ext jpg ?

I need to understand what all of the various symbols (like s/ /i etc) in the commands do.  I assume that there is a list somewhere?

Again thank you very much for your assistance.

Regards

Michael

StarGeek

Quote from: michaelw on February 12, 2021, 09:51:33 AMThank you for your reply.  When I tried your suggestion I got the response no file specified

Did you make sure to include the dot on the end?  A dot on the command line indicates the current directory.  Using a wildcard works as long as you're not trying to recurse into subdirectories with the -r (-recurse) option (see Common Mistake #2)

QuoteI presume that the addition of the ;s/\.jpg specifies the files that do not have the _nnnn should also be modified, is there a limit as to how many of this type of parameters can be added?

That part strips off the .jpg from any file names that still have it.  It's basically a Perl code regex (regular expression) substitution.  Technically, the only real limit would be the maximum command line length (a little over 8,000 characters for Windows, much higher for Mac/Linux) but the command would be very, very messy and hard to troubleshoot at the point.

QuoteAlso what is the purpose of -ext jpg ?

See the -ext (extension) option.  It's used to limit processing to just jpg images.  See the common mistake 2 I linked above.

QuoteI need to understand what all of the various symbols (like s/ /i etc) in the commands do.  I assume that there is a list somewhere?

Not on this site, as that is pure Perl code.  Any Perl tutorial site would help there. Perl code ends with a semicolon, so each semicolon in the above command indicates the separation of what would be individual lines in a normal perl program.  Some more specific sites for this example would be Introduction to Regexes in Perl and Regular-expressions.info, which is a general regex tutorial.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).