Windows FileCreateDate problem between ver 12.18 & 12.19

Started by StarGeek, February 24, 2021, 04:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StarGeek

Starting with version 12.19, exiftool is showing the FileCreateDate off by an hour

output
C:\>exiftool -ver

C:\>exiftool -FileCreateDate="2014:03:16 09:02:20" y:\!temp\Test4.jpg
    1 image files updated

C:\>exiftool -g1 -a -s -FileCreateDate y:\!temp\Test4.jpg
---- System ----
FileCreateDate                  : 2014:03:16 08:02:20-07:00

C:\>exiftool_12.19 -g1 -a -s -FileCreateDate y:\!temp\Test4.jpg
---- System ----
FileCreateDate                  : 2014:03:16 08:02:20-07:00

C:\>exiftool_12.18 -g1 -a -s -FileCreateDate y:\!temp\Test4.jpg
---- System ----
FileCreateDate                  : 2014:03:16 09:02:20-07:00[code]
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Phil Harvey

Crap.  I fell for the Windows daylight-savings-time bug again. :(

I should be able to revert this for the file times, but the new -list_dir option will show incorrect times for the directories.  Unfortunately the current patch for this Windows bug won't work for directories.

Expect a 12.21 update very shortly.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

obetz

I wonder why Strawberry Perl is affected: To my knowledge it didn't copy ActiveState's DST error.

BTW: There was also a year 2038 problem in the 32 bit Strawberry Perl version 2.19 and 2.20, but not in the 64 bit versions: Files with date 2038:11:11 11:11:11+01:00 are reported 1902:10:06 05:42:55+02:00, and setting YK38 also fails. Let me know if you need an example.

I will apply my special Windows tests for the next versions. I have to admit that I was too lazy since a few months...

Oliver

Phil Harvey

Hi Oliver,

I don't have time to find the references right now, but the DST problem wasn't Perl, it was underlying Windows.  (The "dir" command may even have shown this problem if I recall.)

- Phil

obetz

now I checked the my old records and a quick test revealed that Strawberry Perl is also affected by the bug.

Cygwin Perl did it right in my test 2008 (there might be people who find the Microsoft behavior "right").

And IIRC, this comes from Microsoft's C runtime, so it might be not completely wrong to say it's a Microsoft error.

Oliver

Phil Harvey