copy newly modified files to a new directory

Started by etienne, March 07, 2021, 04:53:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

etienne

Hello,
I work in raw+jpeg
I have this little command line that Phil Harvey and StarGeek made for me to automatically copy the Adobe Bridge color label placed on Jpegs to their raw counterparts located in the same folder:

exiftool -P -overwrite_original -tagsfromfile %d%f.JPG -Label --ext jpg

I have an another question.
I would have liked to have exiftool to automatically copy modified raws to a folder specifically created from a keyword.

Example I have a folder containing the following images :
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0001.tiff
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0002.tiff
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0003.tiff
In Adobe Bridge, I mark with a colored label and assign the keyword "NAME" to the image IMG_0001.JPG and to the image IMG_0003.JPG.
I want the images IMG_0001.tiff and IMG_0003.tiff to be copied (with metadata from the jpeg) to a "NAME" folder in a specific location outside the folder containing the images.
I specify that the "NAME" folder must be created by Exiftool and not manually.
Is this possible? And if yes how to proceed?
thank you for your help.

StarGeek

Quote from: etienne on March 07, 2021, 04:53:52 AM
I would have liked to have exiftool to automatically copy modified raws to a folder specifically created from a keyword.

To clarify, you want new copies while leaving the original RAWs in the original location.

In Adobe Bridge, I mark with a colored label and assign the keyword "NAME" to the image IMG_0001.JPG and to the image IMG_0003.JPG.
I want the images IMG_0001.tiff and IMG_0003.tiff to be copied (with metadata from the jpeg) to a "NAME" folder in a specific location outside the folder containing the images.
I specify that the "NAME" folder must be created by Exiftool and not manually.

The -o (-out) option is what would need to be used, along with the Directory pseudo tag (see Writing "FileName" and "Directory" tags).  The problem is the idea of using Keywords (or Subject, as Bridge will write keyword to both of these locations) as the source.  How do you pick your directory keyword out of all the other keywords?

Using Headline as an example, you're command would be something like this.  Test it to make sure.
exiftool -o . "-Directory</path/to/$Headline" -P -tagsfromfile %d%f.JPG -Label --ext jpg /path/to/files/

Note that you can't include the -overwrite_original option in this command as will move, not copy.  See the first link above.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

etienne

Quote from: StarGeek on March 07, 2021, 11:18:06 AM
To clarify, you want new copies while leaving the original RAWs in the original location.
yes you're right

Quote from: StarGeek on March 07, 2021, 11:18:06 AM
How do you pick your directory keyword out of all the other keywords?
I agree, for this I will be able to use the IPTC field "Person In Image". I have checked the keywords do not fit in it.
Should I just replace "Headline" with "Person In Image"?

etienne

In advance my apologies for insisting but can you point me to a person who knows Exiftool well, who knows how to code and who could do this for me for a fee of course. I really don't feel able to do that.  :(

StarGeek

Quote from: etienne on March 07, 2021, 01:06:38 PM
I agree, for this I will be able to use the IPTC field "Person In Image". I have checked the keywords do not fit in it.
Should I just replace "Headline" with "Person In Image"?

"Person In Image" is the tag description (see FAQ #2) not the tag name.  I believe the tag name is PersonInImage though you should double check using the command in FAQ #3.  Not all tag names are the same as the tag description with spaces removed.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).