Able to batch change "Title" in jpg files, but not png files

Started by henrikpe, March 12, 2021, 07:51:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

henrikpe

Hi!

I was able to change the "Title" tag in a folder with jpg files, but the png files in the same folder stayed unchanged (also tried processing the png files in a separate folder, but nothing happens) - any ideas how this can be fixed? I want to be able to sort by "Title" and view the jpg and png images with the same "Title" value side by side.

Used the following commands and edited the csv file in excel by adding a "Title" column with the corresponding values for each image (see attached screenshot for the final result):

exiftool -csv "C:\......\Images_Kopi" > "C:\.........\outImages.csv"

exiftool -overwrite_original -csv="C:\.......\outImages.csv"  "C:\..........\Images_Kopi"

StarGeek

You don't mention the OS but I'm guessing Windows?  And you're viewing the title from the desktop?

PNG metadata support in Windows is practically non-existent. The only tag that Windows will read in a PNG file is PNG:CreationTime, which it uses to fill the "Date Taken" property.

If the property you're looking for doesn't display when you Right Click -> Properties -> Details tab, then Windows doesn't read any data to fill that with.

An example.  As you can see, "Title" does not appear here, so you can't display "Title" on the desktop.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

henrikpe

Thank you for your reply. Yes, it's windows 10 and you are correct - it's very limited what you can display for PNGs. Was able to change CreationDate, but windows reads this as a date so useless for sorting unfortunately. (attached screenshot) I guess the only way around this is to convert the pngs to jpgs, unless there is some other trick.

StarGeek

Quote from: henrikpe on March 13, 2021, 03:39:17 AM
I guess the only way around this is to convert the pngs to jpgs, unless there is some other trick.

Convert to TIFF files.  They are also lossless and Windows supports them the same as they do jpegs.  And if you use ZIP or LZW compression, they should be about the same size as PNGs.  Just don't use JPG compression. You can do it in batch with Irfanview for example. 
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).