Identifying Creation Date or Amending Creation Date Iphone Movie

Started by MellieW, April 26, 2021, 01:55:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MellieW

Hi Team,

First time user of exiftool and looking for assistance.

I have a movie that I dropped and dragged into the tool and it lists the creation date - the other date I presume is when the Iphone Movie was put onto a pc which was a few days after.

My question is, can the 'creation date' be manipulated by the person who recorded the mov file once they put onto a pc?

If so, how do I identify the true creation date that the video was recorded on the Iphone?

I read on a forum that if bringing a movie down from the cloud identifies the file creation date is as at the time this was done, not the true recorded/creation date.

Forgive a blonde woman for not being tech savvy :)

Many thanks
Mel

StarGeek

There's the FileCreateDate which is the time the file was created on the computer.  If the file was downloaded, it will be the time of the download.  If the file was copied from another drive, such as a hard drive or flash drive, it most likely will be the time the file was created, but this isn't a guarantee.

Embedded in the file will be the CreateDate.  This should be the time in UTC that the video was created.  But a lot of simple editing tools do not properly copy this timestamp after a file has been edited, so it cannot be relied on for edited files.  And this timestamp can be easily edited by various programs, exiftool being one of them.

Also, social media sites such as Facebook and Instagram will strip away all metadata from files for privacy.

So if any of this has happened and the timestamps have been changed, then the change is permanent and there is no way to find out what the original time was.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).