News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

exiftool can't read some microsoft data

Started by StarGeek, May 05, 2021, 06:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StarGeek

This is a weird one.  I'm testing out what metadata Windows reads for a video file.

After I fill a lot of tags for a short video, Windows doesn't display anything under properties.  Ok, Windows seems to choke on it.  But if I then fill out the "Tags" property and save it in this file, exiftool displays only two of the four entries.

Here's the Properties window, showing four keywords, test1, test 2, test 3, and test 4.

Output from exiftool
C:\>exiftool -g1 -a -s -microsoft:Keywords "Y:\!temp\Test1.mp4"
---- Microsoft ----
Keywords                        : test1, test 2

I thought you might want to look at the Microsoft:Keywords in the attached file to see if there's a reason that exiftool can't extract all four entries.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

Thanks!  I'll look into this when I get a chance.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

Not high priority, I think, as I think this is an extreme condition I'm putting Windows under to get this result.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

I really hate Microsoft.  In this file, and in the documentation I have found, elements of a VT_VECTOR array are padded to an even 4-byte boundary.  However, with many other samples from Microsoft software they are not padded.  Currently ExifTool isn't expecting them to be padded.  I'll see if I can add a patch to make that padding optional.  Messy.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).