Can't create '/usr/local/bin' no write permission

Started by HollowDeckAlert, May 14, 2021, 06:25:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HollowDeckAlert

Hi,
I need to install ExifTool on a remote system (Debian Unix) and have no permission to install at /usr/local/bin. I have very limited knowledge on how and were to change these settings to a different path.
Can anyone give me directions?

thanks!

StarGeek

Did you try the instructions listed under Install - Unix Platforms?

From other posts Phil has made here, I believe you just need to extract exiftool to a directory and add that directory to your path.  And Perl must be installed as well.  The
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

HollowDeckAlert

Hi StarGeek,
yes, I followed the instructions.
I could run perl Makefile.PL
make test also passes without any issues.

But I get the error
> ERROR: Can't create '/usr/local/bin'
>
> Do not have write permissions on '/usr/local/bin'
at -e line 1.
>
> make: *** [Makefile:1521: pure_site_install] Error 13

So I conclude that I need to change the settings for the path where the install-routine should install exifTool.
It can not be the standard usr/local/bin.

My question is where I can edit the setting for the install routine?

StarGeek

This will need Phil's attention, as it's not something I can really help with.  I suspect he's spending a lot of time out enjoying good weather, so you might want to hit the "Notify" link above to get alerted when there's a response.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

HollowDeckAlert

Hi StarGeek,
Thanks for your support. I tagged "notify" and would be grateful for any help. This is about an application to help track illegal waste deposits for our community.

Phil Harvey

All you need to do is copy "exiftool" and the "lib" directory to anywhere in your path.  You don't need to run the installer to be able to use exiftool.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Alan Clifford

Quote from: HollowDeckAlert on May 14, 2021, 06:25:17 AM
... no permission to install at /usr/local/bin.

Just checking - you did use sudo when you tried to install?

HollowDeckAlert

Hi Alan,
the bash shell at the provider does not recognize the sudo prefix.

HollowDeckAlert

Quote from: Phil Harvey on May 15, 2021, 06:16:41 AM
All you need to do is copy "exiftool" and the "lib" directory to anywhere in your path.  You don't need to run the installer to be able to use exiftool.

- Phil
Hi Phil,
Although "make test" works fine, I can not execute from "exiftool" when I am in this folder.

That's what it looks like:

(uiserver):u96034202:~/bin/exifTool$ make test

All tests successful.
Files=103, Tests=555, 35 wallclock secs ( 0.39 usr  0.13 sys + 31.14 cusr  1.64                          csys = 33.30 CPU)
Result: PASS
<--- works

(uiserver):u96034202:~/bin/exifTool$ exiftool
-bash: exiftool: command not found       <--- why?

StarGeek

Try
./exiftool

I remember having to prepend the ./ on some other occasions when I was dealing with a bash.

Alan Clifford

It will be because the current directory is not in the path.

It is likely that ~/bin is already in the path so put exiftool in there. Also the lib directory, ie ~/bin/lib

You can check the status of the path with

echo $PATH

HollowDeckAlert

Quote from: StarGeek on May 15, 2021, 02:52:15 PM
Try
./exiftool

I remember having to prepend the ./ on some other occasions when I was dealing with a bash.
Thanks a lot. That worked.

HollowDeckAlert

Quote from: Alan Clifford on May 15, 2021, 04:12:07 PM
It will be because the current directory is not in the path.

It is likely that ~/bin is already in the path so put exiftool in there. Also the lib directory, ie ~/bin/lib

You can check the status of the path with

echo $PATH
Thanks. This path was not included. I can not find ~/.profile, or ~/.bash_profile.

./exiftool works and now I will have a look why the wordpress plugin can not access this file although I hand over the absolute path.
Thanks to all.