News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Reporting JPEG APP1 segment length error

Started by Leonard WHYTE, July 17, 2021, 03:38:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leonard WHYTE

Attached is a jpg file (together with the htmldump0 output for easy reading).
My belief is, that this file contains an error in the APP1 length/size which is 0xdfca but should be 0xdfea, since the next segment APP2 starts at 0xe000.
I'm disappointed that the exiftool -a -u -G -H output (also attached) does not appear to contain any "warning" or "error" about this.

Is there a way I can get this situation to be reported?

Phil Harvey

Interesting, thanks.

This is perfectly valid according to the JPEG specification, but it does make sense to issue a minor warning for this.  So ExifTool 12.30 will give the following warning for this file:

Warning: [minor] Skipped unknown 32 bytes after JPEG APP1 segment

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Leonard WHYTE

Phil, That sounds like a suitable resolution.  BTW, will it just be an APP1 check, or will the "Skipped" warning be generated for all segments that are short-sized?  Len

Phil Harvey

...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).