Adding GPS info box to a video of a moving plane, train, or car?

Started by phkc070408, July 25, 2021, 05:22:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phkc070408

OK, same question, but two different situations.  I'm an aviation fan and love making videos of my flights out the window when I take off or land.  I'd like to find a way to put the GPS info into a box in a corner of the screen.  Mainly Speed, Altitude, and Direction.  I have two different situations:

My older camera is a Canon T5I DSLR>  While this camera does not have GPS funtionality stored into it, I used an iPhone App, Raah, to track our route and I have precise GPS information for the entire length of our flight.  I have it downloaded in KML format.

My new camera is Canon 5D Mark IV.  While I am yet to make a flight video using this camera (Stupid Covid), I intend on returning to the skies soon.  This camera does have GPS capabilities.  While I don't believe this camera can add a location at verious intervals in the movie, it does create a GPS log file that can be downloaded in either GPX or KML format.

Is there an app that can take the data file and insert the speed, altitude, and direction that the plane is moving into a box in the corner?

PS - I am aware that I would need to ensure that the GPS log is in sync with the movie file.  I can probably get it pretty close (within a second or 2) by comparing the wheels of the plane touching down to a spot on the file when the altitude stops decreasing.  If anyone has a better solution, I'm all ears (or eyes since this is text).

Note:  I added "Train" and "car" into the subject to assist others when searching for the same solution.

EDIT:

I just thought of something that solves half of my issue:  If there's a program that can convert the log to the info panel without overlaying it on my original video, I can overlay it into my video manually using iMovie.

Phil Harvey

Putting something in a box in the corner of the video would mean editing the video itself.  ExifTool does not do image/video manipulation, so it won't do this.  And unfortunately I don't know what will.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

phkc070408

Hi Phil - yes - I realize that.  I can do the video editing myself.  What I'm looking for is a tool that will take my log file and calculate my speed, altitude and direction off of the GPS coordinates and display them in a video, a video that I can then myself overlay into my original.

Example:  if at T0 I'm at location XXX.XX0, YYY.YY0, and 10 seconds later I'm at location XXX.XX10, YYY.YY10, it auto-calculates that I traveled M miles, and so I traveled M1 miles in 10 seconds which equals M2 miles in one hour.

StarGeek

I found this GIS StackExchange question which has a few answers, but it is 9 years old.  But it might also give you a starting point to find something newer if the suggestions there are out of date.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).